How to install Pixinsight on Linux

atp

Could anyone tell me how do you install Pixinsight on Linux?
I installed in a Kubuntu partition, do I need other packages?
Since I don't know Linux, I don't know what commands are needed for the installation.
Thanks
Alex

Hi Alex,

That video is not showing how to install PixInsight on Linux, but how to execute it 'locally'. This is not what you want. Do the following to perform a correct installation:

1. Download the Linux installation archive. For the current version, it is:

PI-linux-x64-1.8.8-5-20200228-c.tar.xz

Normally when you download a file it is stored on your Downloads directory. So let's assume that this file is now on your ~/Downloads directory (the '~' is a conventional shortcut for your home folder on UNIX/Linux).

2. Open a terminal. On Kubuntu (or any distribution using KDE for that matter), run the Konsole application (from the 'K' menu).

3. Enter the following commands:

Bash:
cd ~/Downloads
tar -xf PI-linux-x64-1.8.8-5-20200228-c.tar.xz
sudo ./installer

These commands do the following, respectively: change your current directory to Downloads under your home folder, uncompress the installation archive, and execute the installer program as root (root is the conventional name for 'superuser', or 'administrator', on UNIX/Linux).

Now simply answer 'yes' (no quotes), and PixInsight will be installed with default options. After this, you'll find PixInsight on your 'K' menu, just as any application installed on your machine.

Let me know if you need more information.

I've been told that it's faster with Linux.

Indeed it is, and much more stable.

Thanks for such clear explanation Juan. I just installed PixInsight on Linux Mint 19.3 CInnamon Edition.

I do have a question though: when opening the application, there's no icon shown associated (the button on the task bar shows no image). Neither on the access icon. How can associate PixInsight icon to it?

Thanks,

Alfredo

Last edited:
I realize this has been asked many times in the past but I need additional clarification. I am currently using kubuntu in a dual boot instance on a macbook pro and it works great. No problems with PI. I wish to build a dedicated PC with two nvme and one hdd and use kubuntu as the OS. What is the best way to install PI and set up the partitions? If there is a post that answers this, please point me in the right direction. Thanks

Back