How to adjust integration in WBPP to remove a remaining satellite trail

fruciak

Hi,
I ran WBPP with a set of Bias, Dark, Flat, Lights from an OSC camera and chose to separate RGB channels. Everything went well without any alarm. I chose the reference frame for local normalization manually excluding explicitely any subframe showing a satellite trail. None of the LN reference frames contains this satellite trail. Everything was on default and the integration rejection algorithm too. At the end I get R G and B channels. Every master light (of course) have a remaining very fine satellite trail. Is there a way to adjust the rejection algorithm and parameters to try to reject it during integration. I attach a screenshot of the masterlight (recombined) when one can see the satellite trail almot horizontal in the low third of the image and one for the integration settings.
Thanks for your help.
Frédéric

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2024-03-13 à 21.43.45_redimensionner.png
    Capture d’écran 2024-03-13 à 21.43.45_redimensionner.png
    1,010.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Capture d’écran 2024-03-13 à 21.41.14_redimensionner.png
    Capture d’écran 2024-03-13 à 21.41.14_redimensionner.png
    656 KB · Views: 59
Hi,
there is no more problem I reran WBPP by choosing integration with generalized extreme studenized deviate as integration rejection algo and I do not have this satellite trail anymore.
CS Frédéric

Hi, no my monitor was not tuned on the right "photography" profile and the satellite trail is still there, less visible but still present. My question remains consistent with my problem, If there is some parameters to adjust to reject more I buy it :)

Thank you Pfile, with a reference image from the same imaging session it is invisible to see the operation. :) Frédéric

Another approach, which I routinely use, is to remove trails with Hartmut Bornemann's Script/Utilities/SKill. For me this is not too much of a chore if I only need to fix say 4-8 frames out of 60, but if you have more it could become tedious. The script is easy to learn to use and can fix multiple tracks in an image.

I get the best results if I use a reference image, typically one before or after the image with the trails. This substitutes pixels from the trail free reference image. After that Integration with default parameters takes care of the residuals.

Another approach, which I routinely use, is to remove trails with Hartmut Bornemann's Script/Utilities/SKill. For me this is not too much of a chore if I only need to fix say 4-8 frames out of 60, but if you have more it could become tedious. The script is easy to learn to use and can fix multiple tracks in an image.

I get the best results if I use a reference image, typically one before or after the image with the trails. This substitutes pixels from the trail free reference image. After that Integration with default parameters takes care of the residuals.
I saw Reggie Jone's tutorial on Skill so I see how to do it, but no documentation that I can find says what type of file SKill can use as input. I have raw fits files which are not de-beyered. Can it handle that?

Hi Fruciak - I've only used SKill on mono frames. It will probably work after you debayer the frames. I think if you apply before debayer you run the risk of edge artifacts, but that's just my guess. Why don't you experiment and share your results.

Back