High frequency noise in MureDenoise output

sarmen

Hello,

In attempts to use mureDenoise, my results consistently feature what looks like a high frequency noise consisting of light spots. Some call this orange peel. I've used the tool which estimates the gain and noise parameters to use with the script.

I read one thread mentioning possible noise issues if trying to filter an integration that was built with weighted averaging or anything other than simple averaging. I've tested that out and there was no improvement.

I've tried filtering a single frame and still observe the high frequency noise.

The camera is the ASI1600 pro. I have new bias and dark frames and flats and lights. None of this make any difference.

The interpolation method during registration was Lanczos3 and set to that in the script.

The estimate tool param results used are below.
Gain: 0.095 e-/DN
Gaussian Noise: 24.95 DN, tried variations from 20 to 40, no improvement.

Variance scale used: 1.0, also tried 0.9, 0.8, 0.7, 0.6. This HF noise reduced some, however the image became distorted and too rolled off and not usable.

The screen capture of result of integrated (21 frames) is at 100%, not resampled.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 9.03.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 9.03.25 AM.png
    524.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Hi Steve,

Sorry for the trouble. Thank you for your work trying to figure this out.

You mentioned you tried a single frame. As a start, before looking at the integration, I would like to try a single frame myself.

Sometimes the camera's 12 bit or 10 bit nature combined with differing driver conversions to 16 bit can cause issues.

If possible please post a dropbox link to a .zip containing:

1x uncalibrated light frame
2x uncalibrated flat frames
2x uncalibrated bias frames

I will take a look.

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the trouble. Thank you for your work trying to figure this out.

You mentioned you tried a single frame. As a start, before looking at the integration, I would like to try a single frame myself.

Sometimes the camera's 12 bit or 10 bit nature combined with differing driver conversions to 16 bit can cause issues.

If possible please post a dropbox link to a .zip containing:

1x uncalibrated light frame
2x uncalibrated flat frames
2x uncalibrated bias frames

I will take a look.

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks Mike,

I'll send the dropbox info in a private message.

-Steve

Back