Harry's video tutorials

yes he does do it on purpose, that's my point - he can serve both audiences simultaneously with a minimum of frustration by upgrading the flash player he uses to embed the videos.

rob

Guys!  I didn't intend to stir up anything here.  Just to say how much I admire Harry's and Jason's efforts to reach out to us who aren't very proficient at PI.  Wahren's videos are great in content, but for a "pay to play" product I thought they needed a bit more polish.  In fact, (my opinion only) Both Harry and Jason beat out Wahren in thier ability to connect with the viewer.  The only problem is a lack of depth in the content when compared to Wahren.  But I'm certainly not complaining. Who knows, in time it may get there (only so much can be expected from a free tutorial series).  In the meanwhile, I eagerly await new videos from my top 2 PI guys! 

Hi

Most of my vids are not meant to be to in-depth  :D

I try not to overload the viewer , perhaps I should do some more in-depth vids  I could do a  whole hour on DBE alone  8)

Harry

Harry page said:
Hi

Most of my vids are not meant to be to in-depth  :D

I try not to overload the viewer , perhaps I should do some more in-depth vids  I could do a hole hour on DBE alone  8)

Harry

The current vids are a near a perfect length.  Especially when taken in sequence when doing a whole process on an image.  But I agree that some (pixel math for instance) could use a bit more time as a stand alone topic. 

As a relative newcomer to PI, I can truthfully state that my first wish was to actually get results from a processing run.  You series of vids accomplished that very admirably.  Now that I am sort of getting used to the feel of the program and a less vague understanding of what different tools are for I find a desire to understand why certain parameters can be changed and how to make a condiered decision on what to change them to.  Tolerance for instance,  or maybe sample radius in DBE.  It is well and good to say "try this" and I do it and achieve an acceptable result.  But until I get a proper understanding of what I am trying, I will be forever tied to the suggestions in the vids.  "Just experiment through trial and error" - this works but is very time consuming and still doesn't teach me anything about what I am changing and why.  Of course, some of the terminology used in PI is definitely Klingon or some other alien language.  I'm sure they are all very proper terms to accurately decribe the tools, but they are definitely in some form of greek.

To summarize:  You could break a PI users experince into 1) newbie - can't do anything without the videos 2) know just enough to get into trouble unless the video is running in the background for quick reference  3) Can do it OK on at least half of the attempts without video support but fails the other half and don't know why [decribes me perfctly] 4) can process most images on my own with only intermittent need for assistance, probably by questions here on the forum 5) got it covered - know what I'm doing now 6) As you put it -Jedi Master, able to impart my vast knowledge and experience to others.

What I seek is something in the level 2 or 3 area, with some type 4 every now and agian.  Call it intermediate if you will.  A discussion of why we make certain choices under differing conditions would cover most of this.

Well - I fell like I'm rambling now.  But I think you get my intent.    ;)

Hi Fellow Pixies

I have found that my old website had become a bit of a mare to maintain as I did not have a clue what I was doing when I wrote it  :yell:

So I Have updated it after learning a bit of Dreamweaver ( If you write websites for a living you must be mad  ;D) , hopefully its a bit tidier now  8)

This Means unfortunately that a lot of old links do not work now  :'(  sorry about this , but does mean I can add more stuff more easily  :D

So Pixinsight home is now http://harrysastroshed.com/pixinsight/pixinsight%20video%20html/Pixinsighthome.html  , bit long I know I will see what I can do about that

Please let me know if anything has broke , but after 6 weeks off work I have gone web blind

Kind Regards

harry

Thanks for your great work Harry :)

The sublinks in the video Section seem to be broken:

Not Found

The requested URL /pixinsighthomenewbie.html was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache Server at harrysastroshed.com Port 80

Harry page said:
Please let me know if anything has broke , but after 6 weeks off work I have gone web blind

Harry  ( may 2014 )

harry - i'm a new guy and i love your videos. 

i noticed that the colour correction video is missing from this page: http://harrysastroshed.com/pixinsight/pixinsight%20video%20html/pixinsighthomenewbie.html

Hi

Sorry about that , I told you I was blind and perhaps stupid  O:)

I will fix it tonight when I get home

Regards

Harry

Hi Harry,

Just a minor hiccup, the SGP Video page has the Plate Solve and Information Tabs reversed.

Nice looking website!

Charles

Hi

Thanks for looking , I am not sure what you are seeing as I can not see a problem ??

Harry

cfranks said:
Hi Harry,

Just a minor hiccup, the SGP Video page has the Plate Solve and Information Tabs reversed.

Nice looking website!

Charles

Hi Harry,

I'm updating my page of PixInsight links with your updated video tutorial links, and it looks as if the link for the Sword of Orion Demo isn't working.

Thanks!

Sean

Harry:

I've found all of your videos to be 'the best'.  I look forward to future vids.  A sincere thank you,

All the best,
Scott

PS  A newbie vid that shows how to modify the gui colors to use in lower-light environments would be an amazing addition

Back