Graphic Card Preferences

frasax

Hello,

i do have a Laptop with 2 Graphiccards. One, build in and one extra for High Performances (NVIDIA). How can i control or be sure, that PixInsght is always using the High Performance Card? If that is in general recommendet.

CS Frank

at the moment PI doesn't do any computation on the video card. however, there are problems on windows (and it turns out, macosx) where buggy openGL drivers can cause PI to crash. so while it is not necessary to make PI run on any particular GPU for performance reasons, it might make sense if one or the other has a less buggy driver.

having said that the intel drivers are apparently the worst in this regard, so if you can tell the OS to use the nvidia card that might be better. i know juan put in 'hints' in the macosx version of PI to tell the OS to do just that but i am not sure if the same is true of the windows version.

i don't have direct experience with windows but this article says how to bind an application to a particular video card in windows 10:

rob

Hi Rob,

thanks for your reply. As i was intenionally thinking more about Picture Quality, this does make a lot sense to me, as i was one of those who had Troubles in the past with crashes, due to Graphics Drivers.
I know meanwhile how to force a Program to use one card over another, i was just curious if i can see somewhere in the presets which one PI uses, but you gave the answer to this anyway.

Thank you.
CS Frank

Back