Generalised Hyperbolic Stretching Version 2.1.0

Following the release of version 1 of the Generalised Hyperbolic Stretch script last December, I am now really pleased to make version 2 of GHS available. The key improvements from version 1 include the following:
  • Real-time preview
  • Luminance, saturation and colour stretches
  • Full masking support
  • Additional stretch types
  • Secure repository updates (much easier to install!)
  • Dedicated website (https://ghsastro.co.uk) with tutorial videos and more – available directly from within the script
If you are a Pixinsight user and haven’t yet tried GHS, I would really encourage you to give it a go – it’s free! If you are already a GHS user, thank you for your support and to many of you, thanks also for your feedback and suggestions. Many of your suggestions have helped inform the content of this release – please do keep them coming!

To install GHS into Pixinsight, add the repository information as follows:
  • If you have GHS version 1 installed then remove this first, then ...
  • From within Pixinsight go to: Resources>Updates>Manage Repositories
  • In the Manage Update Repositories dialog, click the Add button
  • In the URL box type the GHS repository information as follows: https://www.ghsastro.co.uk/updates/
  • In the Add Pixinsight Repository dialog, click the OK button
  • In the Manage Update Repositories dialog, click the OK button
When you next sign back into Pixinsight you will receive a message to say there are updates available which will include GHS. Proceed in the same way as you would for any Pixinsight update (including restarting Pixinsight) to complete the installation.

Your comments, feedback and suggestions are very welcome.

Happy stretching and clear skies!

Mike Cranfield
Mike,

I've heard lots of good things about GHS and would like to give it a try, but can't seem get it properly installed in PixInsight. I'm usually fairly good at finding my way around PixInsight, but for some reason have hit the wall trying to install GHS.

I have added the URL to my repository, and have run the updates. In "Installed Updates", PixInsight shows GHS installed (I think). See the screenshot. But I can't find GHS under either the Process or the Script menu. Nor is it listed in the Process Explorer.

No doubt this is user error, but I seem to have hit the wall in trouble-shooting this. I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks,
Kevin Wigell

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-02 19.46.57.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-02 19.46.57.png
    118.7 KB · Views: 137
It does look like everything has installed. In the scripts menu you should have "GeneralisedHyperbolicStretch" under the Utilities sub menu. In the process menu you should have "GeneralizedHyperbolicStretch" under the Intensity Transformations sub menu - or in the alphabetical list of all processes. Are you saying you have neither of these?

Mike,

I've heard lots of good things about GHS and would like to give it a try, but can't seem get it properly installed in PixInsight. I'm usually fairly good at finding my way around PixInsight, but for some reason have hit the wall trying to install GHS.

I have added the URL to my repository, and have run the updates. In "Installed Updates", PixInsight shows GHS installed (I think). See the screenshot. But I can't find GHS under either the Process or the Script menu. Nor is it listed in the Process Explorer.

No doubt this is user error, but I seem to have hit the wall in trouble-shooting this. I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks,
Kevin Wigell
The program is only installed when you leave Pixinsight and restart. Was this done?
Just a thought.

Dave

The program is only installed when you leave Pixinsight and restart. Was this done?
Just a thought.

Dave
Dave, yes, I have exited PixInsight and restarted it... the GHS tool is still not available. But it shows as having been installed in "Installed Updates". I have also restarted my computer.

Kevin

It does look like everything has installed. In the scripts menu you should have "GeneralisedHyperbolicStretch" under the Utilities sub menu. In the process menu you should have "GeneralizedHyperbolicStretch" under the Intensity Transformations sub menu - or in the alphabetical list of all processes. Are you saying you have neither of these?
Mike, I don't have "GeneralizedHyperbolicStretch" in the scripts Utilities sub-menu, the complete list of processes, or under "Intensity Transformations". Screen shot attached for the latter menu (just to double-check my sanity). This despite PixInsight telling me that it has been installed. Thanks for any help with this.

Kevin

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-05 13.19.46 (2).png
    Screenshot 2022-12-05 13.19.46 (2).png
    225.7 KB · Views: 96
Mike, I don't have "GeneralizedHyperbolicStretch" in the scripts Utilities sub-menu, the complete list of processes, or under "Intensity Transformations". Screen shot attached for the latter menu (just to double-check my sanity). This despite PixInsight telling me that it has been installed. Thanks for any help with this.

Kevin
Can you go to Process>Modules>Install Modules. Then in the search directory browse to your PixInsight/bin directory. Click search and see if PixInsight finds the process module. If it does then click install, etc.

Err, just another guess, are you using the most recent Pixinsight version. Are there any ghs files in the script or bin directories?

Can you go to Process>Modules>Install Modules. Then in the search directory browse to your PixInsight/bin directory. Click search and see if PixInsight finds the process module. If it does then click install, etc.
Mike,

YES! That did the trick. I'm not sure why I had to run Install Modules to get it to show up in my menus, but in any case, I now see it under Process->IntensityTransformations, as well as of course Process->All Processes. And in the Process Explorer. As I said before, GHS previously showed up under Resources->Updates->View Installed Updates, but wasn't available to run from either the menu or Process Explorer. But after running the Install Modules, it shows up in both and appears to run and work as advertised. Very strange. I wonder if I will need to go through this when GHS is updated.

One other thing I wanted to mention (maybe not relevant), but initially when I went to search my PixInsight/bin directory from Install Modules, it still didn't show up. When I clicked the "Recursive" search checkbox, it did show up as available to run, which I did.

Now I'm getting to know GHS. It looks like a very useful tool, one I will probably use pretty often. Thanks for the suggestions that got it working for me!

Kevin

Mike,

YES! That did the trick. I'm not sure why I had to run Install Modules to get it to show up in my menus, but in any case, I now see it under Process->IntensityTransformations, as well as of course Process->All Processes. And in the Process Explorer. As I said before, GHS previously showed up under Resources->Updates->View Installed Updates, but wasn't available to run from either the menu or Process Explorer. But after running the Install Modules, it shows up in both and appears to run and work as advertised. Very strange. I wonder if I will need to go through this when GHS is updated.

One other thing I wanted to mention (maybe not relevant), but initially when I went to search my PixInsight/bin directory from Install Modules, it still didn't show up. When I clicked the "Recursive" search checkbox, it did show up as available to run, which I did.

Now I'm getting to know GHS. It looks like a very useful tool, one I will probably use pretty often. Thanks for the suggestions that got it working for me!

Kevin
I'm glad you are up and running Kevin.
CS, Mike

Bit late here but I want to better understand ghs but can’t find any other videos than the Australian chap who’s very good but another persons description may help. Can anyone suggest a video?

Bit late here but I want to better understand ghs but can’t find any other videos than the Australian chap who’s very good but another persons description may help. Can anyone suggest a video?
Hi Melvin,
I must have lost the link to this form somewhere along the line. At any rate, a good connection for other videos and documentation is ghsastro.co.uk
Hope this helps,
Dave

Hopefully easy question.
I just finished stacking in PI and want to use GHS but I'm missing
a zoom slider. Where could it be hidden?

Attachments

• GHS no zoom slider.jpg
    GHS no zoom slider.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 107
If you press the up arrow next to the number you will zoom in and then move the scroller to the left. The magnifying glass with the dot in it returns it to the normal magnification.

Hi guys, I think I am confused!

When I select GHS from the processes menu I get what looks like the V1 version of GHS (MedicineMan linked above, I'll reattach it).

The only way I have found to get the V2 up with the preview window etc. is to find it in the scripts menu. Is this expected behaviour?

Attachments

• GHS no zoom slider.jpg
    GHS no zoom slider.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 83
Hi guys, I think I am confused!

When I select GHS from the processes menu I get what looks like the V1 version of GHS (MedicineMan linked above, I'll reattach it).

The only way I have found to get the V2 up with the preview window etc. is to find it in the scripts menu. Is this expected behaviour?
That screen shot is GHS V3 - ie the process. It looks a bit like V1 because the preview is no longer part of the GHS interface, instead the GHS process links to the standard PixInsight real-time preview functionality. Just click the circle at the bottom left of the GHS interface to get the RTP in the same way as you would for any other PI process that offers RTP.

HI Melvin,
if you go to ghsastro.co.uk (ghsastro.com, ghsastro.ca), there are links to other videos. Hope this helps,
Dave

Thanks for that. I’ve been watching a few videos including some on the ghs site but I’m going to watch a few more so I get a rally good understanding of the process. The latest videos I’ve been watching are the latest one from Paulyman, Entering into space as well as those on the ghs site.

Back