Generalised Hyperbolic Stretching - revisited

Hi DrJim, It's a bit convoluted. You then have to install updates and the computer thinks a minute, and then says Ok or something. But you haven't really installed it yet. You need to exit Pixinsight and upon exiting, Pixinsight will then ask you to install updates. Say yes, and the actual install will occur. Then Pixinsight will automatically restart, or you may have to restart it, and the script will show up. Hope this helps.

Yes, I've also exited and restarted PI a few times... and there's no indication of an update.... Other repositories have installed properly, but these were all first installed prior to 1.8.9... this is the first as a repository. I also use NSG, but that's not a repository, but installed as a feature script...

Yes, I've also exited and restarted PI a few times... and there's no indication of an update.... Other repositories have installed properly, but these were all first installed prior to 1.8.9... this is the first as a repository. I also use NSG, but that's not a repository, but installed as a feature script...
One option would be to add as a feature script. If you go to the website links page, at the bottom is the link to the GitHub repository. You can download the files from here and install manually. You will need to add the GeneralisedHyperbolicScript.js and the lib sub-directory within a directory called GeneralisedHyperbolicScript within the Pixinsight/src/scripts directory.
Hope this works ok for you. Let us know if you still have problems.

Hi DrJim,
Do you select Resources-->Updates-->Check for Updates before you exited?
Does it say it found the script?
Dave

Yes... checked for updates, but none found...

Jim

Have you checked whether the GHS files are actually present? They should be in your Program Files directory under Pixinsight/src/scripts/GeneralisedHyperbolicStretch. In that directory there should be the GeneralisedHyperbolicStretch.js and a subdirectory called "lib" with further .js files in it.

If the GHS directory is present you should be able to add it back to your scripts menu using the Feature Scripts facility.

If the GHS directory is not present then the best approach will probably be to add the files manually from the Github link here. You can then add then to your scripts menu using the Feature Scripts facility.

In either case, keep the ghsastro repository in your repository list and, hopefully, when an update to GHS is released, your Pixinsight installation should still pick it up.

OK... so I grabbed the code from GitHub and installed as a feature script. Haven't tried it out yet, but it's 'there' in the proper menu location !!

Jim

... and meant to say "thanx tons for all your help" ... Gotta love PixInsight and working astrophotography stuff w/ it... especially since there's such a vibrant team and user community development effort.... not only makes it good, but interesting...

Cya
Jim

I love the simplicity of the video , however my channels are not aligned. Is there a way to align them in the script?
GHS.jpg

I love the simplicity of the video , however my channels are not aligned. Is there a way to align them in the script?
View attachment 16092
Yes, under the histogram is a number of radio buttons. These allow you to select a single colour channel to stretch. You can select blue then stretch so the blue histogram sits over the green one. Apply that stretch then reset and select the red channel and stretch so that the red histogram sits over the other two.

Yes, under the histogram is a number of radio buttons. These allow you to select a single colour channel to stretch. You can select blue then stretch so the blue histogram sits over the green one. Apply that stretch then reset and select the red channel and stretch so that the red histogram sits over the other two.
Thanks, I just used the "Stretch factor (In(D+1))" slider to align the channels and it worked. I was just worried if that was the proper way of aligning the channels before following the video.

Thanks, I just used the "Stretch factor (In(D+1))" slider to align the channels and it worked. I was just worried if that was the proper way of aligning the channels before following the video.
If you want to get more creative, you can overstretch the weaker channels way past the strongest one (using an SP to left of the channel histogram you are stretching, b & D) and then bring it back to the left by bringing HP down towards SP. This will add range/spread to the colour making the colour more dynamic when you finally align all three for white balance.

Hello,
The script is in the scripts list and i can open it. But when i select a image in the "Target View" all the buttons go inactive and i cant do nothing.
Any ideia?

Last edited:
Hello,
The script is in the scripts list and i can open it. But when i select a image in the "Target View" all the buttons go inactive and i cant do nothing.
Any ideia?
Hi - when you first open an image the script does a few preliminary calculations during which the buttons will go inactive but this shouldn't take more than a few moments. If it is taking longer than this, please close the script and then check the process console - are there any messages there?

Hi - when you first open an image the script does a few preliminary calculations during which the buttons will go inactive but this shouldn't take more than a few moments. If it is taking longer than this, please close the script and then check the process console - are there any messages there?

After a long time, nothing happens and the following message appears in the process console, in red.

"*** Error [000]: C:/Users/valte/Desktop/Progs/Pixinsight scripts/GHS-main/GHS-main/src/scripts/GeneralisedHyperbolicStretch/lib/ControlPreview.js, line 333: Error: Image.getSamples(): invalid argument type: Array expected."

After a long time, nothing happens and the following message appears in the process console, in red.

"*** Error [000]: C:/Users/valte/Desktop/Progs/Pixinsight scripts/GHS-main/GHS-main/src/scripts/GeneralisedHyperbolicStretch/lib/ControlPreview.js, line 333: Error: Image.getSamples(): invalid argument type: Array expected."
Most peculiar. This is a very mainstream part of the code and works fine elsewhere. I think you have downloaded manually via Github rather than using the repository? I wonder if your file has got changed somehow - could you try uninstalling and downloading again? Or, uninstall the current version you have of GHS and just add https://www.ghsastro.co.uk/updates/ to your Manage Repositories list then Check for Updates, download, and restart PixInsight to install. Let me know how you get on.

Back