Gain in electrons/ADU for T3i

rtemen

I am using PI to process my pics. I am following the instructions suggested to me over at Light Vortex.
I am at a place where it is asking me to enter the gain of my camera chip in e/ADU.
I have not been able to find this information for several hours now.
Does someone have a chart of gain values for different cameras?
I have a Rebel T3i (600D).
Also, it was suggested that I could use the script Basic CCD Parameters, but it crashes when I try to use it.

Thanks,
Rich

You have to have three sets of two each images open to use the function or it will give an error. Open two Bias frames, two Flat frames and two darks, one dark at 600 seconds and one dark at 60 seconds. I had it do the same thing till I opened those images.

Hi there,

I did the experiment for the Rebel (T5i, 700D). Here are the results as table screenshot (see attachment).

Cheers
Thomas

Attachments

• 700D.png
    700D.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 232
Rich, I shared my values for the T3i here:
https://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php?topic=13966.0

Thomas, for the T5i I suspect the full well depth at ISO 100 is lower. Might want to verify what max DN you get at ISO 100. IN my case it was lower than that at higher ISOs indicating that full well depth was only 24828 electrons.

Also for DR, not sure the PI script considers the significant bias at all ISOs. In the case of my T3i it is ~2048. And max ADU was only 15831. This means there are only 13783 DN avail above ISO 100.

I did also a linearity test, and indeed for ISO 100 the saturation occurs around 13800 ADU (see screenshot).

Attachments

• lintest.png
    lintest.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 98
Would someone please point me to where on the Light Vortex website the procedure for calculating camera gain is located?  Thanks.

Larry

copello said:
I did also a linearity test, and indeed for ISO 100 the saturation occurs around 13800 ADU (see screenshot).

If you use this new max value and subtract the roughly constant bias, i'm assuming you will get a smaller full well capacity at ISO 100 vs. what you stated before.

Back