Flats with L-eXtreme Filter Help

Sean Boon

Hi everyone,

First time post here. I'm using the Optolong L-eXtreme filter with a Nikon D750. I attempted to take a set of flats using the computer monitor as a white light source along with putting a piece of whitepaper on the end of the scope, but after stacking my photos, with lights, darks, bias and these flat frames, the introduction of the flat frames really messed with the color in the final image. I'm wondering if my flats are actually ok. I've uploaded them and am looking for some help on whether or not they are any good. A related question I have is that if I'm using this DSLR with this filter, should I check the CFA image option when I go through the WeigthedBatchProcessing Script?

Link to my flats here. I'll add the final image that was produced as well into that folder. I added both final images that were stacked, one that includes the flats and one that excludes the flats. They'll take a bit to upload. The stacked finals were produced in DSS because of another issue I'm having in PixInsight in that it only managed to register 3 of my lights. I'm trying to troubleshoot that as well, but wanted to separate that out from this issue.

Thanks,
Sean

Last edited:
color shifts from OSC flats are not unusual and nothing to be concerned about. just do BackgroundNeutralization and ColorCalibration to fix the colors. if you have a handle on plate solving in PI and how to tweak the solver, you can also try PhotometricColorCalibration, which is one-stop shopping, but a little more complex.

rob

Back