Fail Fast Exception

iwannabswiss

With the latest update to 1.8.8-6, every time I close PI, whether I've used it or not, the following alert pops up:

PixInsight: PixInsight.exe - Fail Fast Exception
A fail fast exception occurred. Exception handlers will not be invoked and the process will be terminated immediately.

It happens each and every time, whether I click the X, Ctrl-q, or File > Quit PixInsight.

Juan Conejero

PTeam Member
Sep 2, 2004
Valencia, Spain
pixinsight.com
This cannot be reproduced on any of our working and testing Windows 10 machines. This problem has not been reported before.

This is a machine-specific issue. Check your computer for malware, registry data corruption, corrupted system components, or conflicting third-party applications. Consider performing a clean system reinstall.

JohnH

Aug 31, 2020
FYI: I am experiencing the same alert as the original post upon exiting PI. Win10/64 bit. This occurred following update from 1.8.8.5. I have removed 1.8.8-6, and then reinstalled it but the alert remains. Aside from the minor annoyance from the alert message, it all seems to work as expected.

Reactions: iwannabswiss

iwannabswiss

This cannot be reproduced on any of our working and testing Windows 10 machines. This problem has not been reported before.

This is a machine-specific issue. Check your computer for malware, registry data corruption, corrupted system components, or conflicting third-party applications. Consider performing a clean system reinstall.
I did a registry check by running the command "sfc /scannow" which found and fixed a couple of issues. I started and then closed PI, but the issue still persisted. I had already attempted to repair 1.8.8-6, so this time I deleted PI 1.8.8-6 and redownloaded and installed 1.8.8-5 and the issue went away. I then uninstalled .8-5 and reinstalled .8-6 and the issue came back. I didn't want to have to reset my computer, but I eventually went under Windows settings and selected Reset this PC, this kept all of my files and reinstalled Windows. After it finished reinstalling Windows and redownloading 1.8.8-6, I can confirm the error is now gone. However, now that another person is having this issue there may be something more.

Juan Conejero

PTeam Member
Sep 2, 2004
Valencia, Spain
pixinsight.com
However, now that another person is having this issue there may be something more.
There is nothing more here besides a Windows-specific problem, probably being caused by registry corruption and/or damaged system components. The fact that it has been resolved by reinstalling Windows shows that the problem is not being caused by PixInsight.

WarrenHatch

Dec 9, 2019
I am experiencing exactly the same issue under Windows 10 following my recent upgrade to PixInsight 1.8.8-6 (from 1.8.8-5).