EZ Processing Suite

Big thanks to darkarchon for the EZ Processing Suite. With StarNet no longer available for download and StartNet2 here, what are the chances of EZ Processing Suite supporting StarNet2 PI integration in the near future? Thanks so much!
In the meantime, a quick rename from StarNet to StarNet2 in EZ_Common.js::getStarNet() did the trick. ?

starnet has been part of the PI distribution for quite a while now. the deletion from sourceforge shouldn’t affect PI users.

starnet has been part of the PI distribution for quite a while now. the deletion from sourceforge shouldn’t affect PI users.
Sorry, I should have included more context. Because I'm using an M1 Mac, I'm particularly interested in using the brand new StarNet v2 with EZ Processing Suite.

I'm sure the official support will come soon enough, especially seeing how straightforward the workaround is (noted in my previous post above).

Thanks again to darkarchon and the PI team!

i agree V2 is better, but V1 can be used on an M1 mac. @airscottdenning put together a starnet V1 package with a tensorflow library that doesn't use AVX2/FMA (which rosetta does not support). it could also be that the tensorflow libraries that ship with V2 are compatible with V1 as well - they definitely don't have the vector instructions but the tensorflow API is different. i had trouble running V2 against the libraries that shipped with sourceforge V1.

i agree V2 is better, but V1 can be used on an M1 mac. @airscottdenning put together a starnet V1 package with a tensorflow library that doesn't use AVX2/FMA (which rosetta does not support). it could also be that the tensorflow libraries that ship with V2 are compatible with V1 as well - they definitely don't have the vector instructions but the tensorflow API is different. i had trouble running V2 against the libraries that shipped with sourceforge V1.
Thanks pfile! This is great to know if I need to fall back to V1.

I'm feeling right at home with PI and its team and community.

also i should add that darkarchon doesn't really read the forums but he has a dischord for EZ which (i think) he monitors. so feature requests here or cloudynights will likely fall on deaf ears.

Pixinsight 1.8.9 just released but seems not compatible with SZ Processing Suite ? Or how to get this installed at 1.8.9 ?

In my experience (using Windows 10) it is still compatible.

Click on Resources , Updates, Manage Repositories and make sure there's an entry for the EZ suite repository: https://darkarchon.internet-box.ch:8443/

Cancel out of that and click on Resources, Updates, Check for Updates. When it has finished, restart PI (it will prompt to load any updates) and hopefully you should have the scripts back.

I remember seeing a post on another thread earlier this week that DarkArchon has updated the repository so it should be working with 1.8.9 now... I have no issues running it on my end.

When I installed 1.8.9, I just closed PixInsight and then re-opened it and it found the "removed" repositories. Hopefully it starts working your end!

Zak

I posted this in another thread that is having similar issues. Hoping this resolves the issues that people are having with the EZ Processing Suite.

I would try repairing the PixInsight installation by "removing" the program, but instead of uninstalling it, just click the repair icon when prompted. Hopefully this way PixInsight can find the weights files that StarNet++ needs for it to work properly.

I tried this method for my other script files that weren't working with PixInsight 1.8.9 and they work fine now. When I did the repair, PixInsight found my repositories that I had installed previously, and as with my scripts, the repositories work fine now.

Zak

Also forgot to include the following in my previous reply, so apologies about that XD.

If on Windows, go to Start, type in "add or remove programs", then navigate down to PixInsight, click "uninstall", then press "yes" if prompted by Windows, then the PixInsight install/remove window should pop up.

Click the "repair" button and it will go through and repair the installation. Once that's done, just reopen PixInsight and go to the repositories, manage repositories and check for updates.

Hopefully this fixes the EZ Processing Suite errors!

Zak

I posted this in another thread that is having similar issues. Hoping this resolves the issues that people are having with the EZ Processing Suite.

I would try repairing the PixInsight installation by "removing" the program, but instead of uninstalling it, just click the repair icon when prompted. Hopefully this way PixInsight can find the weights files that StarNet++ needs for it to work properly.

I tried this method for my other script files that weren't working with PixInsight 1.8.9 and they work fine now. When I did the repair, PixInsight found my repositories that I had installed previously, and as with my scripts, the repositories work fine now.

Zak
Excellent...thanks
That worked

All good! I'm glad it worked!

It's a hit and miss for the EZ Processing Suite I've found.

Zak :)
I mainly use it for 2 things: Denoise and star reduction.

The soft stretch I simply do not understand, and doing the histogram stretch myself is almost always better. The Dconv is also a bit complicated for me, and almost always gives me strange stars.

I mainly use it for 2 things: Denoise and star reduction.

The soft stretch I simply do not understand, and doing the histogram stretch myself is almost always better. The Dconv is also a bit complicated for me, and almost always gives me strange stars.
I love the EZ Processing Suite, it's done wonders for my images.

I mostly use the Soft Stretch on my masked images to give them a starting point, then I adjust the brightness manually. I do agree that stretching the images manually works better than the Soft Stretch as you have more control over your image(s), but it's there for a reason and it's not for everyone.

I also find (in my case), manually denoising images works well. I sometimes use EZ Denoise but on occasion it's too strong for my images that don't really have that much noise in them.

EZ Decon on the other hand is not good from my experience. I get really bad ringing around the stars even when I've masked the image to protect them. It just doesn't work for me and I'm sure I'm not the only one who is experiencing this too besides you and me.

For my deconvolution process, I just create a star mask for the deringing, adjusted lightness mask to protect the areas I don't want to be affected and a PSF image with the PSFImage script (really good script to have).

EDIT: Forgot to mention about the star reduction. It's really good and I often use the de-emphasis method by Adam Block.

Zak

I love the EZ Processing Suite, it's done wonders for my images.

I mostly use the Soft Stretch on my masked images to give them a starting point, then I adjust the brightness manually. I do agree that stretching the images manually works better than the Soft Stretch as you have more control over your image(s), but it's there for a reason and it's not for everyone.

I also find (in my case), manually denoising images works well. I sometimes use EZ Denoise but on occasion it's too strong for my images that don't really have that much noise in them.

EZ Decon on the other hand is not good from my experience. I get really bad ringing around the stars even when I've masked the image to protect them. It just doesn't work for me and I'm sure I'm not the only one who is experiencing this too besides you and me.

For my deconvolution process, I just create a star mask for the deringing, adjusted lightness mask to protect the areas I don't want to be affected and a PSF image with the PSFImage script (really good script to have).

EDIT: Forgot to mention about the star reduction. It's really good and I often use the de-emphasis method by Adam Block.

Zak
Hi Zak
Yes, EZ Deconv gives me terrible ringing artefacts around stars.
would you mind expanding on your process of Deconv and Soft Stretch?

I’ve been using PI for just one year, and it has a very steep learning curve.
Would like to use it, and I’ve been avoiding deconv so far.

You mentioned that you use soft stretch to a MASKED image?

So before using it, you use range selection to create a mask to protect the nebula/galaxy? But then how are you actually stretching the image?

many thanks

Hi Zak
Yes, EZ Deconv gives me terrible ringing artefacts around stars.
would you mind expanding on your process of Deconv and Soft Stretch?

I’ve been using PI for just one year, and it has a very steep learning curve.
Would like to use it, and I’ve been avoiding deconv so far.

You mentioned that you use soft stretch to a MASKED image?

So before using it, you use range selection to create a mask to protect the nebula/galaxy? But then how are you actually stretching the image?

many thanks
Sure I don't mind at all! PixInsight is a very steep learning curve for everyone, but once it is mastered, it is a very powerful astrophotography processing software!

I do deconvolution after DBE and colour calibrating my image. When I get to that stage, I open up a these processes (StarMask, Deconvolution). From there, I leave the default settings on the StarMask besides the Truncation (I put that around 25.000), I then apply the StarMask process to the image and it creates a star mask which is going to be used for the deringing.

I extract the luminance channel from my image, then I use EZ Soft Stretch to stretch the image (default settings are fine) and use that as my mask to protect the areas I don't want to be affected. If needed, I use the HistogramTransformation to further adjust the mask to how I like it.

From there, I use a script to create a PSF file called PSFImage to create the PSF image needed in order for Deconvolution to work properly. Depending on the amount of stars in the image, it can take a while or be very fast. Once that's done I click create and it will then create the PSF image.

Finally, in the deconvolution process, I change these settings:

Iterations: 50 (can be changed later if it's too much)

PSF: External PSF (this will be the PSF image I created with PSFImage)

Deringing: 0.0050 Global Dark

Local Support (This will be the star mask image I created; I normally name it LDSI so I know it is my local deringing support image)

Before applying a test deconvolution, I apply the mask I created before onto the image, then I create a preview around an area where I think the changes will be visible (e.g. nebula or galaxy). I then go to that preview separately and apply the deconvolution process. If I like it, I will apply it to the whole image. I f I don't, then I will adjust the iterations to be less, and I will continue to do that up to the point where I am happy with how it looks.

Hope this explains your question about deconvolution! If not, please let me know so I can elaborate more.

Also, apologies for the delay in responding this morning, had to get ready for my day but I did like your reply when I got up XD.

I have attached an example of my deconvolution settings for reference too.

Zak :)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    100.6 KB · Views: 147
Back