DWB Catalog Developed for AnnotateImage

BenKolt

Greetings!

I have created a custom catalog, attached here, that can be loaded into the AnnotateImage script.

Reference: HR Dickel, H Wendker and JH Bieritz, "The Cygnus X Region V. Catalogue and Distances of Optically Visible H II Regions", Astron. & Astrophyis. 1, 270-280 (1969). A scanned PDF is available here.

I used online optical character recognition software to convert the PDF image of the DWB object tables to an Excel spreadsheet. The conversion worked pretty well, but I did need to repair and manipulate the tables through several steps. I then converted the B1950 coordinates to J2000 and saved the final numbers to the catalog format used by AnnotateImage.

Here is an example image. Note that as of this writing I have not fully completed the Description section of this AB page, nor have I published it yet, but I hope to have it publicly available later this evening or tomorrow. (But you are welcome to view the link now if you wish.)

Please let me know if this catalog is of any use to you or if there are any issues that need my attention. I note the the position of the annotations more or less correspond to the HII regions marked in the DWB paper, but their placement is certainly not perfect.

Best Regards,
Ben

Attachments

• DWB1969 04.txt
    6 KB · Views: 134
Ben

Thanks for sharing this. You may want to add sizes (Diameter) to the objects in your catalog so that the script displays them as varying sized circles. I see that page 273 of the article has both major and minor axes sizes.

Some time ago I created a text file for the LBN catalog which I use as a custom option in AnnotateImage. I attach it if of use.
Best regards

Roberto

Attachments

• LBNCatalog.txt
    32 KB · Views: 85
Hi Ben and Roberto,

Thank you so much for these nice contributions. Maybe we could add these custom catalogs to the AstroBin+PixInsight project, if you agree.

Ben

Thanks for sharing this. You may want to add sizes (Diameter) to the objects in your catalog so that the script displays them as varying sized circles. I see that page 273 of the article has both major and minor axes sizes.

Some time ago I created a text file for the LBN catalog which I use as a custom option in AnnotateImage. I attach it if of use.
Best regards

Roberto

Thank you, Roberto!

I was reluctant to add diameters to these objects as many are so elongated and irregular in shape. Anybody who wishes can modify it, of course.

A nice addition to AnnotateImage would be major and minor axes and ellipse angle. This would convey more information about galaxy or nebula sizes and orientations. If those columns were available now, I would have included them in this catalog.

Best Regards,
Ben

Back