Display differences between sRGB and AdobeRGB with some tools

Hello everybody,

Since it is my first post in this forum, I begin by a little presentation. I am Philippe, from south-east of France, doing digital astrophotography for 15 years and using Pixinsight since 2018. Also, I wish to say a big "thank you" to all the Pixinsight team for this comprehensive software.

Now, I have an irritating little problem in my processing chain... I don't know if it is Pixinsight or Photoshop, screen calibration or other, that' why I post in this section.

When processing the images, I use AdobeRGB as the working space in Pixinsight, on Mac OS 10.14.5 with a Eizo screen, calibrated with a i1DisplayPro. Then I save the final result in TIF 16 bits for minor cosmetics in Photoshop CS5, which use the same working space. The image has the AdobeRGB profile embedded, and is displayed in PS exactly like in Pix. Now I convert in sRGB (relative colorimetry), then export in jpg : displayed in PS or Pix, the sRGB and AdobeRGB are very difficult to distinguish visually, as it should be. Now here is the problem: displayed in Safari, Aperçu, or Mail, the image in AdobeRGB is well displayed as in PS or Pix, but the image in sRGB looks quite different, with a noisier background. As sRGB images are intended to be shared on the internet, it is a concern. I really can't figure out where is the problem. Note that the problem also exists if I convert in sRGB with Pix ICCProfileTransformation.

Have you an idea ? For reference, here are the links to the same image, in AdobeRGB and after conversion. I would also be interested to know if other people can see a difference with their viewing tool (either Mac, Linux or Windows).

http://pfilliatre.free.fr/images/images_astronomie/ngc3227_20200224_v1_adobe.jpg

http://pfilliatre.free.fr/images/images_astronomie/ngc3227_20200224_v1_srgb.jpg

Thank you in advance,
Philippe

i don't have a solution but i see the same thing on OSX 10.13 - in firefox both images look exactly the same but in safari the adobe image has a slightly brighter background. just barely brighter.

i have noticed this problem on and off throughout the years. i have never found a solution but it does seem related using apple programs to display the images (Preview.app, Safari.app, finder quicklook previews.)

as i switch desktops away from firefox or safari, the image displayed in the browser tab changes pretty drastically right before the desktop changes to the next one, which makes me think this is definitely all about how OSX is handling display profiles and ICC tags...

rob

Thanks for your answer. It seems that what I do is correct, but that OSX makes weird things somewhere. Due to confinement, I happen to have a laptop with windows on it, my both images displays equally on Internet Explorer. However, the screen is definitely not for photo work, so I would be interested to have the opinion working on Windows.

Philippe

Thanks for your answer. It seems that what I do is correct, but that OSX makes weird things somewhere. Due to confinement, I happen to have a laptop with windows on it, my both images displays equally on Internet Explorer. However, the screen is definitely not for photo work, so I would be interested to have the opinion working on Windows.

Philippe
Hi,
I've watched the pics either in Firefox viewer or in a separate image viewer (after saving them) on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS : no difference at all as you can see on this screen copy :)
Maybe the jpeg transformation involves the same results . . .

Hope this helps
CH@RLY

Attachments

• Capture d’écran de 2020-10-08 11-23-05.jpg
    Capture d’écran de 2020-10-08 11-23-05.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 65
i now know what was happening under OSX - i had used DispCal to do the calibration and saved the profile as a "3 curve" profile. this is actually incompatible with OSX. if i use 1-curve profiles then everything is fine color management wise across programs.

Back