Diffraction spikes

Based on a recent conversation with a user: It is possible to create diffraction spikes without scripting:
- obtain a nice spike image from some source - in this case I used one of the James-Webb-Telescope images published yesterday
- cut out the spike, edit it to remove stars you don't want to have, and adjust its brightness so background pixels are black (value 0,0,0). I used GIMP for that. No need to mess with transparency or other special features, just make the background really dark.
- Import the spike picture and your target picture to PI. Do SampleFormatConversion to 32 bit float if necessary.
- Apply the spike picture via the Convolution process to your target picture.
- Screenshot of result is below
- You may want to play with mixing the original image with the convolved image, or do histogram transforms first, or limit application to bright stars. (via StarMask), ... I will leave those details to you.
- I am totally aware that this procedure is not what the documentary school of astrophotography likes - see discussions above.
Georg
View attachment 15247
it's very interesting and love JWST spikes choose!!!
Is the "PixInSight spikes" situation state of art within this thread or does it evolved somehow?
Is there any script like windowz>photoshop ProDigital Star Spikes Pro actually implemented for Pixinsight?
I tried to search on the web and nothing seems to be done or took me here.
Thanks in advance and wishing everybody CS

Back