Deep sky landscapes: Rosette nebula and Pleiades

wuxiekeji

After getting bored of shooting the Milky Way I've been spending some time trying to scout out angles and viewpoints for deep sky landscapes. The concept here is these are all real true-to-scale scenes to show non-astronomers that a lot of the deep sky objects are visually much larger than people think they are, and that they don't see them mainly because they are just too dim and/or too far to the edge of the visible spectrum to see with the naked eye.

These images involve separate stacking of the sky and ground and then fusing them according to one selected sub as a reference image, but are true to scale and represent the scene at one particular instant in time of the process, and represent what one would see if your eyes were thousands of times more sensitive. They take quite a bit of planning since it's not always easy to find a location where the DSO is close enough to the horizon, near another foreground object of interest, and with weather cooperating. Both of these images are taken with a 180mm lens.

Feedback welcome!

Attachments

• halfdome1a.jpg
    halfdome1a.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 109
  • shastarosette.jpg
    shastarosette.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 107
these are great! a good one to do would be the andomeda galaxy - it is huge.

Yup, Andromeda is high on my list. Here's one I did before at 85mm, but I'm hoping to find a better foreground scenery such that I can get it low on the horizon with a 180mm or 300mm. Barnard's loop is also big on my list. I have one set of data of Barnard's loop setting over some lilies I haven't processed yet.

Attachments

• pinnacleandromeda.jpg
    pinnacleandromeda.jpg
    525 KB · Views: 81
My gosh - am I ever impressed. What creativity! I only looked at the Yosemite one -- I am temporarily too overwhelmed to look at the other.

Back