Debayering process with Optolong L-Pro filter with DSLR?

afederal

Hello all,

Fairly new to the program and am trying to decide if it’s worth purchasing... however I’ve hit kind of a roadblock.

I forget the name, but I was following one of the popular tutorials shared around here for processing images. Everything went well up until the debayering process in which everything got a very deep blue hue in my lights, besides some of the more prominent nebulae features in the image.

The camera I am using is a Canon EOS 6D astro-modified, obviously with the Optolong L-pro filter in the optics train. Is there a more correct process to processing the colors in my situation? I tried a few different settings including automatic, some of which kept the image blue, but one of them even turned it a deep orange.

Does it particularly matter? Is there a process for removing the blue later in processing? Or any other information would help with my processing workflow. I honestly did not continue after I saw the colors all out of wack, so I apologize if there’s something I may have missed later in the process that would correct it.

On mobile right now, so no examples, but I’ll attach one when I get home.

Thanks!

Hi,

did you use linked STF? If so unlink it when reviewing not-color calibrated images. I am not familiar with the Optolong-filter but my not-color calibrated images (also EOS 6Da) are always blue with linked STF due to calibration with flats (my flatfieldbox has low intensity of blue).

CS, David

Hi,

did you use linked STF? If so unlink it when reviewing not-color calibrated images. I am not familiar with the Optolong-filter but my not-color calibrated images (also EOS 6Da) are always blue with linked STF due to calibration with flats (my flatfieldbox has low intensity of blue).

CS, David
At what process/step would the linked STF be relevant at? On mobile so I’m not able to physically look at the program or quite recall if I had used it

At what process/step would the linked STF be relevant at? On mobile so I’m not able to physically look at the program or quite recall if I had used it
I am assuming that you looked at a single light frame after debayering, correct? A single light frame will be mostly black because it's linear. For you to see anything you need to either do a manual HistogramStretch or apply the ScreenTransferFunction (STF) by pressing ctrl+a (on a windows pc) or clicking on the radioactive symbol. on the top left corner you can unlink the RGB channels and re-apply the STF.
Did you calibrate your lights?
As said I havo no experience with that optolong filter and without an image it's hard to say what exactly you are referring to.

I am assuming that you looked at a single light frame after debayering, correct? A single light frame will be mostly black because it's linear. For you to see anything you need to either do a manual HistogramStretch or apply the ScreenTransferFunction (STF) by pressing ctrl+a (on a windows pc) or clicking on the radioactive symbol. on the top left corner you can unlink the RGB channels and re-apply the STF.
Did you calibrate your lights?
As said I havo no experience with that optolong filter and without an image it's hard to say what exactly you are referring to.
Yes, sorry I did the auto stretch to look at the image. Lights were calibrated and everything. Here is the tutorial I was following: https://www.lightvortexastronomy.co...rating-and-stacking-images-in-pixinsight.html

Here is a single, unstacked light file that was calibrated and debayered to show the blue that I am referring to (ignore the dark around the edges, its from the mirror box and goes away once stacked): https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkvXQ454VNp9ggFBwTbQ5HK3p3HQ?e=BHX3OH

Yes, sorry I did the auto stretch to look at the image. Lights were calibrated and everything. Here is the tutorial I was following: https://www.lightvortexastronomy.co...rating-and-stacking-images-in-pixinsight.html

Here is a single, unstacked light file that was calibrated and debayered to show the blue that I am referring to (ignore the dark around the edges, its from the mirror box and goes away once stacked): https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkvXQ454VNp9ggFBwTbQ5HK3p3HQ?e=BHX3OH
Just checked your image and you need to unlink the RGB channels in STF (chain symbol in top left corner). After Color Calibration the colors should be correct with linked RGB channels.

CS, David

Attachments

• stf.jpg
    stf.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 64
Back