DBE background contours

alcol

I have been using Pixinsight for a while now but I'm no expert. Recently looked at some published results of background images from the DBE process. The extracted background gradients show smooth images. I have never managed to get these smooth background images and don't know why. I have tried a number of recommended DBE parameters but my background images show contours across the image, see attached. Any advice appreciated
typical background DBE.JPG

If I understand you correctly I believe that the contours you're seeing don't mean anything, it's just a matter of visualization.
I think that if you click on this icon
24.jpg
to use 24-bits for the STF your background will be smooth.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks nico, I didn't know that even existed let alone changed this image looks smooth now and shows where to adjust settings to show the gradient more evenly across the image. can you explain in simple terms what hitting the 24 bit button does to the image? Thanks again.
smoothed background DBE.JPG

Sorry @alcol , although I was confident this was the problem I don't understand the subject enough to give you a solid explanation. I'll wait with you for someone with more knowledge ;).

its hard to explain this succinctly, but google "posterization" in 8-bit images. the 24bit lut helps images that have a lot of subtle variations in brightness map to the screen without posterization.

Back