Continued segmentation violations on Mac

thutchison

I posted a previous thread where I was getting segmentation violations on my Mac. The previous response was that there was likely an issue with the memory on the device causing the issue. I REPEATEDLY tested the memory on the machine with every method I could find and no memory issue was ever found, yet the segmentation violations continued, at random places in the software.

I just purchased a completely brand new machine. It is a Mac Pro with 16 processors, 32 cores, 192GB of memory and 8T of disk drive space. I have the machine configured with a 16GB ram disk that I use for 7 swap files for pixinsight, with 1 swap file on the SSD hard drive (I did not use a ram disk on the original machine since it only had 12GB of ram).

Here is an example of the segmentation violations I am receiving. I was simply opening a previously minimized window when this occurred.

The only thing that I can think of that may be unusual is that I do use a Wacom Cintiq pen display.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!!! I am willing to do whatever testing you need.

Tim.

Attachments

• picrash.jpg
    picrash.jpg
    848.5 KB · Views: 45
PI just crashed completely. The attached is from the apple crash information screen.

Please help!!! I just lost hours worth of work.
Thank you.

Attachments

• picrash2.txt
    135.7 KB · Views: 77
Hi Tim,

Definitely, this cannot be reproduced on any of our working and testing machines. Can you please try without the Wacom tablet connected?

I too suffer from this problem on my Macbook Pro. Repeatedly getting an almost identical screen. It usually occurs after using PI for a few hours. PI in most cases does not crash but weird things start occurring: e.g. image windows start becoming unresponsive; automatically scroll on mouseover

This is hugely frustrating. To premept data loss from a crash, i invariably waste a lot of time saving projects every few process steps. As you can imagine this is a huge incremental use of time.

Thank you.

image windows start becoming unresponsive; automatically scroll on mouseover

These problems are being caused by bugs in your graphics drivers, typically a defective OpenGL implementation. Normally these problems get resolved when you disable the integrated Intel HD graphics adapter. Do the following:

- Open the System Preferences application.

- Open the Energy Saver item.

- Uncheck the Automatic graphics switching option.

This will force the system to use the high-performance discrete graphics card. All of the issues you've been experiencing should be gone after this change.

These problems are being caused by bugs in your graphics drivers, typically a defective OpenGL implementation. Normally these problems get resolved when you disable the integrated Intel HD graphics adapter. Do the following:

- Open the System Preferences application.

- Open the Energy Saver item.

- Uncheck the Automatic graphics switching option.

This will force the system to use the high-performance discrete graphics card. All of the issues you've been experiencing should be gone after this change.
Juan:

Removing the Wacom tablet has had no effect. I still am experiencing the same issues. I saw your post above.

I do not see the option you are referring to. It seems this may just be for notebook computers. I am using a Mac Pro, as I said above.

I really need your help with this. I absolutely love PixInsight!!! But I need to get this fixed. Is there anything we can do to try and troubleshoot the issue. I am more than willing to do anything that you want me to do.

Thank you for your help in advance.
Tim.

Hi Tim,

My answer about disabling integrated HD graphics was for the other user that reported a known issue on MacBook laptops.

I cannot reproduce the problems you are describing, so I have no way to fix them. I don't have a Mac Pro computer, so I cannot know if the problems you are experiencing are idiosyncratic of that machines. I have just several iMac and MacBook Pro machines, all of them with up-to-date macOS 10.15 Catalina, where PixInsight runs without any issue. I know that other users work with machines similar to yours and they don't report these problems.

Trying to help you find possible causes for these problems:

- Are you using an antivirus software?

- Some file utility applications running as background processes, such as an automatic backup utility, file organizer, Finder extension, etc?

- Any other hardware connected to your computer, such as external GPUs or monitors?

- Do these errors happen following a repeatable pattern? Any specific process or tool where this problem happens more than others, or more consistently?

- Can you upload a data set, project or image where this problem can be reproduced?

- The error report you attached above clearly shows that the crash happened within the Qt library (QtCore module):

0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x00007fff69ccf882 __psynch_cvwait + 10
1 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff69d90425 _pthread_cond_wait + 698
2 org.qt-project.QtCore 0x000000011679bea0 0x116773000 + 167584
3 org.qt-project.QtCore 0x000000011679bbfe 0x116773000 + 166910
4 org.qt-project.QtCore 0x000000011679bb74 QWaitCondition::wait(QMutex*, QDeadlineTimer) + 100
5 org.qt-project.QtCore 0x000000011679badb QWaitCondition::wait(QMutex*, unsigned long) + 59
6 org.qt-project.QtCore 0x000000011679457e QThread::wait(unsigned long) + 206

Qt is a highly stable, widely used and proven software component. So the probability of a bug here is extremely small.

Juan:

Thank you for responding.

I have no Antivirus software running on this computer. It's brand new and I am attempting to keep it clean for this exact issue.

The only background process running is TimeMachine backup, but the crash I had today there was no backup running when it happened.

I have 2 Thunderbolt monitors connected to the machine. The only GPU is what came from Apple on the computer. AMD Radeon Pro 580X with 8GB vram

I seem to see this happen frequently when working with preview windows, but not exclusively. Today, the crash occurred when applying ACDNR to a preview window. There were 2 preview windows open on the image at the time.

I would be glad to send you an image, but honestly I don't see it helping you. This happens on everything I attempt to process and there is no set of steps that I can find to reproduce the behavior. Today I had been working for 3 hours when it crashed, losing all of my work to that point.

Here is the latest crash info.

Please help. This is absolutely killing me! I had an image that I was at the last stages of finishing that I have to go back and completely re-do. Please understand that I am not complaining. I love your product. I just need your help!

Thank you.
Tim.

Attachments

• picrash.txt
    139.3 KB · Views: 51
Back