Combining Ha and OIII for Best Mono Features

niteman1946

Hi Group,

I’ve imaged M27 in both Ha and OIII. As expected, these filters bring out the target’s different areas of nebulosity.
These two sets will be combined into one mono image that highlights both contributions.
Subs from RG and B filters will be added for the color mix.

I’m hoping for a PixelMath formula that best combines the two narrowbands to bring out their unique features.
Any suggestions from the gurus would be greatly appreciated.

Below is a link providing separate Ha and OIII integrations including crop and DBE.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Mark

can i understand what you are after here? because Ha and red and OIII is teal, merging them together into one mono image is essentially making a luminance image for a subsequent RGB blend of the Ha and OIII. it seems like you'd want to mix together the RGB with the narrowband images in such a way that the Ha augments the red and the OIII augments the G and B.

i happened to watch an episode of TAIC on youtube where the speaker was Debra Ceravolo - her husband and she designed the COS300 astrograph - and she described a career in AP which was mainly focused on trying to get natural colors out of narrowband filters (rather than the gold/blue of the so-called hubble palette.) toward the middle she describes switching to PI for this type of work. it might be what you are interested in doing here?

Thanks for the reply Rob.

As you summarized, I want to produce a luminance from the combination of the Ha and OIII integrations.
And as mentioned, I was hoping there was a sweet PixelMath formula to do that while emphasizing the two NB's differences.
For instance, I've previously done a "mean(Ha,OIII)", and this kinda gets me there.

Mark

well... yeah i don't have anything. i usually just use default ImageIntegration weighting with the 2 masters (each added twice to get above the 3 file minimum). i guess that "respects the data" as much as possible since they should then be combined according to their SNR.

rob

Back