Color management ICC profile problem with new laptop

sactowriter

Hi everyone,
I just purchased a Microsoft Surface 3 laptop and loaded Pixinsight on it. When I launch the program, I get the error: Failure to initialize ICC color profile transformation LCMS Error (13) Couldn't link the profile. I downloaded some generic Adobe ICC profiles and loaded them into Windows color management, hoping that would solve the problem but it didn't, even when I made them the default. What can I do to solve this problem? I also noted that the font sizes do not change in pixinsight when I change them globally on the laptop. Is it a compatibility problem? Will I not be able to use Pixinsight on this laptop?

Rob Fink

Update after installing 1.88 and an update. Neither the program update or the update made any difference. The exact same error continues to occur upon program launch.

I am having the same issue with a brand new Surface Pro 7

Screen Captures attached

Attachments

• pixinsight error.png
    pixinsight error.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 44
  • pixinsight error2.png
    pixinsight error2.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 47
This happens because your Windows operating system does not provide a valid ICC profile for your laptop's screen.

Do the following to overcome this problem:

- From the main menu, select 'Edit > Color Management Setup'.

- On the ColorManagementSetup tool, click the System Settings section.

- For New Monitor Profile, select the 'sRGB IEC61966-2.1' standard profile.

- Click the Apply Global button, or press F6, to execute the tool.

- Exit PixInsight.

- Run PixInsight. The Application will inform you that the monitor profile has been changed.

This will let you work in a color-managed environment with normality. The sRGB profile will characterize well your laptop's screen for most practical purposes.

Juan,

Thanks for your answer. When I go into edit and color management set up I get: Error: Empty profile file path, in the process console. What can I do about that?

Rob

As I compare color management from my desk top to this computer the problem seems to revolve around a an ICC profile called RSWOP. This profile shows in my desktop but cannot be loaded into the profiles for the Surface. When I do so, it gives me error saying that Windows failed to associate RSWOP.icm with Display 1. Is Pixinsight by default looking for this profile?

Your suggestion of going into color management setting a different profile cannot be completed because I'm not able to open color management. If there were a way to do this, that sounds like it would solve the problem. Is there a way to change the default profile that Pixinsight is looking for before starting the program?

Rob

Update:
I just got off the phone with Microsoft and they solved the problem. What they did was run a repair on Pixinsight. As soon as they did that, Pixinsight worked normally. So the problem appears to be some kind of corruption in the installation of Pixinsight. The amazing thing is that this corruption continued when i performed updates to the system, basically unistalling and reinistalling Pixinsight.

Rob

New update, the last surface laptop had a hardware problem and so Microsoft sent me a new one. Guess what? Pixinsight has the same problem with color management with this laptop and repairing Pixinsight does not fix it. I'm left with not being able to use PixInsight on my laptop. I would really appreciate it if there were some kind of fix could be made.

Rob

I am not Windoze savvy as I only use a Mac, but it looks to me as if the path to where your ICC profiles are saved is not set correctly, I think the default location is C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color.
If the path is correct and you can select a suitable ICC profile then I can't see why the process that Juan has given you should not work without having to repair the PixInsight installation.

Sorry can't be anymore help and I am only suggesting this as nobody else has chipped in.

Last edited:
Dave, thanks for your response. The profiles are located at the location that you mentioned above. I suspect that for some reason Pixinsight in set up did not look to this directory. Since I cannot access Color Management on Pixinsight because of an empty profile path. I'm kind of caught in a catch 22. I think when the repair worked on Pixinsight on my first computer it somehow fixed that path problem. But repeated repairs this time have no effect.

Rob

As nobody else is responding, have a shot at this.....Look at https://pixinsight.com/faq/ FSQ 2.7 tells you where the license file AND the config files are

In the config file (pixinsight.plist) I found this, however looking on my windows machine I cannot find the .plist file, only an .ini file:

key>000.Global.ColorManagement.DefaultEmbedProfilesInGrayscaleImages</key>
<false/>
<key>000.Global.ColorManagement.DefaultEmbedProfilesInRGBImages</key>
<true/>
<key>000.Global.ColorManagement.DefaultGamutCheckEnabled</key>
<false/>
<key>000.Global.ColorManagement.DefaultProofingEnabled</key>
<false/>
<key>000.Global.ColorManagement.DefaultRenderingIntent</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>000.Global.ColorManagement.Enabled</key>
<true/>
<key>000.Global.ColorManagement.GamutWarningColor</key>
<integer>-5658199</integer>
<key>000.Global.ColorManagement.GrayscaleProfilePath</key>
<string>/Users/davewatson/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/iMac Calibrated2.icc</string>
<key>000.Global.ColorManagement.MonitorProfilePath</key>
<string>/Users/davewatson/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/iMac Calibrated2.icc</string>
<key>000.Global.ColorManagement.OnMissingProfile</key>
<integer>2</integer>
<key>000.Global.ColorManagement.OnProfileMismatch</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>000.Global.ColorManagement.ProofingIntent</key>
<integer>2</integer>
<key>000.Global.ColorManagement.ProofingProfilePath</key>
<key>000.Global.ColorManagement.RGBProfilePath</key>
<key>000.Global.ColorManagement.UpdateMonitorProfile</key>
<string></string>
<key>000.Global.ColorManagement.UseLowResolutionCLUTs</key>
<false/>
<key>000.Global.ColorManagement.UseProofingBPC</key>
<true/>

So maybe you can change
<key>000.Global.ColorManagement.MonitorProfilePath</key>
for the correct path.

BTW this is a last resort measure, this is for a Mac so you need to change for Windoze path

Maybe you can post the config files here so we can have a look....

Happy playing

Last edited:
OK an update....it looks like windows does not have a pixinsight.plist file but a pixinsight.ini file and the format is different

I installed a new copy of Pixinsight on an old windows machine I have and this is the .INI file that it created without any errors with regard to ICC profiles. I have attached it here, zipped up, so why not copy it to the folder as noted in FSQ2.7 and give it a try.

The necessary entries that refere to ICC profiles in the .INI file are:

Global\ColorManagement\MonitorProfilePath=C:/Windows/System32/spool/drivers/color/sRGB Color Space Profile.icm
Global\ColorManagement\UpdateMonitorProfile=
Global\ColorManagement\RGBProfilePath=C:/Windows/System32/spool/drivers/color/sRGB Color Space Profile.icm
Global\ColorManagement\GrayscaleProfilePath=C:/Windows/System32/spool/drivers/color/sRGB Color Space Profile.icm

Just check that those sRGB files do exist in the C:/Windows/System32/spool/drivers/color/ directory and if not adjust accordingly.

Attachments

• PixInsight.ini.zip
    21 KB · Views: 63
That's brilliant, glad it worked, and I have learned something as well.

I still think the core software needs a tweak so that at least you can get access to change the path if it is empty.

Last edited:
Back