Changes in PhotometricColorCalibration (PCC)

Juan Conejero

PixInsight Staff
Staff member
With today's release of the SpectrophotometricColorCalibration tool (SPCC), we have also released a new version of PhotometricColorCalibration (PCC). The latest version of PCC introduces a few important breaking changes, which I will enumerate and describe briefly in this post.

PCC-1.png

A valid astrometric solution is now required in PCC's target image. We have removed all astrometry-related controls and the entire plate-solving functionality, so the PCC process no longer depends on the ImageSolver script. This means that you must plate-solve your images before applying PCC. You can do this either by preprocessing the data set with the WBPP script, which now includes the automatic generation of astrometric solutions, or by running the ImageSolver script manually. Including a plate-solving functionality in PCC was a serious design error, which we now have fixed.

PCC now uses our hybrid PSF/aperture photometry engine. This is the same engine used by the SPCC and LocalNormalization tools, besides ImageCalibration and Debayer to compute weighting data. We describe this engine in the article on SPCC, which we have just published today. The practical meaning of this change is that PCC no longer depends on the AperturePhotometry script. PCC is also much faster and more accurate thanks to this change. All photometry-related controls and parameters have been removed and replaced by our standard set of star detection and signal evaluation parameters.

PCC should always be used with local APASS DR10 or APASS DR9 databases in XPSD format, which can be downloaded from our Software Distribution interface. To avoid excessive breaking changes, we still support the possibility of accessing the APASS DR9 catalog via the online VizieR service. Still, this functionality is now deprecated and will be removed in a future version. When the Automatic catalog option is enabled in PCC, the process will use the best local APASS catalog available automatically through the APASS XPSD database server process.

The meaning of background neutralization limit parameters has changed. The lower limit and upper limit parameters are now expressed in sigma units from the median of the background reference region, instead of literal pixel values. With this change, the background reference is
sampled adaptively, solving several practical problems we have detected with previous versions. In practice, you rarely will need to change the default values of these parameters, and background neutralization will simply work in virtually all cases.

Please understand that we have implemented all these changes to improve the PCC tool, solving important issues we have been detecting over the past years.

At any rate, although we haven't deprecated the PCC tool, so it still remains a perfectly valid option, we strongly encourage all our users to start working with the new SpectrophotometricColorCalibration tool (SPCC) for all color calibration tasks in PixInsight. SPCC is much more accurate (by orders of magnitude) and robust than PCC in all practical applications.

Thank you for your attention.

One issue: when initially cropping my image to reduce the stacking artifact I then get an error with regards to losing the plate solve and SPCC does not work. I have temporarily alleviated the issue by using DBE then SPCC and then cropping but is that a satisfactory method if I can no longer use the plate solving after cropping? Thx
Vic

Every time an image is cropped, plate solving information will be lost, that is unavoidable. Just use Image Solver again.

(Here is a suggestion for the PI team, incorporate in future versions of DynamicCrop the option to solve the final image).

One issue: when initially cropping my image to reduce the stacking artifact I then get an error with regards to losing the plate solve and SPCC does not work. I have temporarily alleviated the issue by using DBE then SPCC and then cropping but is that a satisfactory method if I can no longer use the plate solving after cropping? Thx
Vic

The latest WBPP update has an "autocrop" feature that automatically crops the image to a convenient size to get rid of the poor quality borders.
After the Autocrop step, WBPP will perform a new plate solving routine.

The cropped image is an ideal starting point to begin your processing with an embedded high quality astrometric solution.

I have 1.8.9-1 installed. When I went to check for updates it said there were none. Still no SPCC
I just came off the trial version and had to delete the PI folder first. Then I installed the latest version.

This is what I see using 1.8.9-1 Mac OS version.
No SPCC and there are no available updates.
During the trial SPCC was available.

Attachments

• IMG_2023-2-10-132252.jpeg
    IMG_2023-2-10-132252.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 87
SPCC is available as an update to PixInsight 1.8.9-1 on all supported platforms, including macOS.
I do not see the update for SPCC at all when I install 1.8.9-1 and I have unistalled/reinstalled several times. Also there are updates for WBPP that are for an older release that keep showing up that if I install them they will prevent WBPP from launching so I have to make sure that they are deselected. If there is something that I can do from my end let me know. I am a little concerned that I was running PI on the trial version and after I had to delete the PI folder to install 1.8.9-1 and I start losing functionality. Please have this issue fixed for MacOS.
Please see the attached images.

Attachments

• Image 2-10-23 at 2.11 PM.jpeg
    Image 2-10-23 at 2.11 PM.jpeg
    932.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Image 2-10-23 at 2.07 PM.jpeg
    Image 2-10-23 at 2.07 PM.jpeg
    794.8 KB · Views: 86
SPCC is available as an update to PixInsight 1.8.9-1 on all supported platforms, including macOS.
I had to reset PI during startup by holding the control key. This time all updates worked but anything that I had set up was reset. Hopefully I will not have to do this for the next new release.
Can you make the update process for MacOS users more streamlined? We shouldn’t have to uninstall and reinstall each time there is a new release of PI.

Back