Canon 5D IV raw images won’t load but Canon 60D will?

Drwazza

Hi,
I have been struggling to open raw files from my 5D. I have no problem with my 60d. Am I missing something in the camera output software setting for the 5D, or do I need an update in pixinsight. Anyone else experiencing this issue.
cheers warren

does the 5d4 produce CR3 files? if so libRAW support for CR3 just came out today. and it's still in beta. whatever version of libRAW thats shipped with pixinsight is undoubtedly older than libRAW 0.20 beta 1.

rob

Hi Rob,
Cheers.
Both file formats seem to be CR2 but the icon is different when displayed in the file list (which I mentioned earlier) I only noticed this when I was loading files from a sd card I had used in both cameras. I will try an update of the raw “module”. Do you happen to have a link to save time please? Thanks again for your help so far.

so i'd have to go back and see when 5d4 support was added to libRAW. i'm not sure if it will just work to try to upgrade libRAW because juan probably has to compile it from scratch to interface with PI.

... well, looking back thru this forum, it seems that 5d4 support has been there since the time that juan switched from DCRAW to libRAW. so in theory it should work. can you post one of the 5d4 CR2 files to google drive/dropbox and post the link here?

rob

Hi Rob,
I have updated both the camera firmware and pixinsight software. Unfortunately still no luck with opening the files.
Just a heads up I'm a total nubie at astro photography these are literally my first set of pictures and they are far from professional.
Here is the dropbox link:

Thanks again

Please take a look at the manual and the current settings in the camera: is the option 'Dual pixel raw' enabled? If this is the case, disable it and try with a new image.

Bernd

Dual pixel seems to be already disabled. I have just completed a firmware update so can’t be sure of the initial status. I had not enabled it previously.

Please open a CR2 file of your Canon EOS 60D, take a look at the FITS header (in the menu: FILE/FITS Header) and post the first 3 lines of it (PixInsight version, RAW module version and LibRaw version).

Bernd

Hi Bernd,
As requested,
Decoded with PixInsight 1.8.8-5
Decoded with RAW module version 1.5.3
Decoded with LibRaw version 0.19.0-Beta1
Thanks,
Warren

These all are the current versions. I use the same.

I downloaded a raw file in CR2 format of this camera model (from https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/canon_eos_5d_mark_iv_review/sample_images , lower half of the website), and opened the image in PixInisght. This is the output to the process console with RAW preferences set to 'Pure raw':

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
C:/Users/Bulrich/Downloads/canon_eos_5d_mark_iv_71.cr2
Reading metadata: done

Camera ........... Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
Timestamp ........ 2016-10-11T14:15:58Z
Exposure ......... 1/200s
ISO speed ........ 100
Focal length ..... 70 mm
Aperture ......... f/8 = 8.8 mm
CFA pattern ...... Bayer RGGB
Raw dimensions ... w=6880 h=4544
Image geometry ... x=136 y=42 w=6744 h=4502

Raw decoding parameters:
Output mode ............... cfa
Auto crop ................. enabled
Wavelet noise threshold ... 0
White balancing ........... disabled
Black point correction .... disabled
Highlights clipping ....... disabled
Auto rotate ............... disabled
Output image .............. w=6744 h=4502 n=1 Gray

Reading RAW data: done

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The image was displayed correctly, no problem at all. It also worked correctly with RAW preferences set to 'Demosaiced RGB'.

Please download one of these sample images and try to open it in PixInsight. If this succeeds, the problem is caused by the CR2 files of your Canon EOS 5D Mark IV and not by your PixInsight installation.

Bernd

Hi Bernd,
I successfully opened one of the suggested file without issue, thanks. Therefore, I quickly took a test photo with my 5D (post firmware updates) and this photo opened correctly as well.
Looks like I can't open/use my older 5D photos through pixinsight but thats okay as they are just first attempts, moving forward I should be fine.
Thanks everyone for your help.
Cheers, Warren

Back