Cannot Update Swap File Area

E66

Just updated to 1.8.8
I've got 32GB of RAM and would like to use my M2SSD for the swap area.
In the global preferences i've removed the default swap area which is in the users temp folder on the C drive, and added a folder on the D drive.

While trying to integrate 130 bias frames (stored on the D drive, 12MPx each) i can still see the RAM maxing out followed by the C drive reading and writing at 100%, nothing happening on the D drive. When the C drive becomes full my PC starts freezing as windows is struggling to do anything, and i think it starts using the D drive (hard to tell as things stop responding and updating).

Edit: I've tried moving my page file to the D drive, as well as allowing upto 32GB to be used but it still writes to the C drive?

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    90.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
the swap area is for the undo history of views open on your desktop. when you run ImageIntegration, nothing is written to the swap area because no views are opened during the integration process itself. the ImageIntegration process opens all the files, reads them into memory, and does the stacking in memory; at the end one or more views are opened on the desktop (integration, rejection maps). since those views are never modified by the process (other than to create them) nothing is written to the swap area. if you were to apply a process to one of the images, a single swap file would be created holding the previous state of the view.

the files you are integrating must be living on the C: drive, is that correct? the only thing that doesn't make sense about your description is that no writes should be made to the C: drive by ImageIntegration itself. however. if your windows paging file was on C: at the time. then that could account for it.

anyway short answer is the swap area is uninvolved with the ImageIntegration process. you'll see it start to be written/read when you start processing images open on your desktop.

rob

Thanks for the info Rob, ive checked what files its accessing with process explorer but it doesn't show anything obvious.
Image files were on the D drive, the reading / writing of the C drive was way after the loading of the images, i'm not sure what it was doing.
Interesting about the swap area, i figured it was a similar thing to what Photoshop / Microsoft ICE does when it runs out of RAM and uses a scratch area on your hard drive.
I've switched to using Linear Fit Clipping instead of ESD for integration now as its significantly faster on my system.

yes ESD is quite processor intensive but is considered state-of-the-art for rejection. so do you think that's what was causing the "hang" you were seeing? i think it would be normal on large datasets.

Back