Cannot uninstall 1.8.8.7

dhudson

I am trying to install the latest version and getting the dreaded - “cannot run installer, another install is in progress” when trying to uninstall 1.8.8.7

I tried all the tips/tricks previously post around re-installing the current version… but it doesn’t work…. keeps saying it can’t run the installer.

I’m stuck. This seems to be an ongoing issue with PixInsight as there are posts on this going back a while and there are many of them.

Any advice on how to nuke the old version so i can do the new install?

Super frustrated…..

This is not a bug in PixInsight, but a well-known problem on Windows. If you Google for the problem you'll find a variety of possible solutions. This thread on Microsoft's community support website includes some of them:

This is not a bug in PixInsight, but a well-known problem on Windows. If you Google for the problem you'll find a variety of possible solutions. This thread on Microsoft's community support website includes some of them:

Thanks - I’ve tried all of these and can’t get any of them to work. What i don’t understand is why i have no problem installing and uninstalling other programs.

I love pixinsight and think it’s one of the best engineered pieces of software i’ve ever used; but they really need to re-evaluate the installer they are using…. I don’t understand (or particularly like) having to completely uninstall and reinstall between minor versions.

I’m at a total loss as to what to do now other than wipe my machine and i’m not doing that…..

Finally got it uninstalled.... This is what worked:

Go to task Manager - stop windows installer.

Go to "Add Remove Programs" - select PixInsight, do Uninstall

I had gotten sidetracked by people saying "downloand and run the same version install program and choose uninstall".

Thanks for the help!

Back