Calibration of flats with dark flats - not matching flats with dark flats

gregk

Hi, I'm having an issue calibrating my flats with dark. The problem is only occuring with my OIII data. Flats and Dark Flats for Ha and SII are fine but I'm getting the following message on the OIII:

** Warning: Neither master bias nor master dark found to calibrate Flat frames (filter = OIII, binning = 1, exposure = 11.75s, length = 50)

The exposure times and all other details are the same for the dark flats and flats (11.75s) and the other FITS header data all matches.

I've taken new flats and dark flats (slightly different times) and I'm still getting the same message.

The calibration files were taken using the flat wizard in NINA.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Greg

Just to add, if I add the OIII lights, darks, flats and dark flats to WBPP on their own, there is no error message and the process runs with no errors.

So it's only when I try and process the narrowband files in one lot that WBPP gives the error message of not being able to match the flats with the dark flats for the OIII files.

Really weird.

Hi Greg,

Can you post screenshots of the darks and flats tabs in WBPP?
Also, can you copy (or screen capture) The FITs header information of the OIII dark and the OIII flat showing the Exposure keyword?

-adam

Hi Adam

Thanks for responding. Please see attached the various screenshots as requested.

Greg

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    715.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    691.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    739.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    712.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    671.6 KB · Views: 49
I am having the same issue - I also use the N.I.N.A. flats wizard. The file names and FITS headers for both the flats and the dark flats show matching times but WBPP does not recognize that info when processing the subs - screenshots attached

Attachments

• WBPP Error 1.jpg
    WBPP Error 1.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 53
  • WBPP Error 2.jpg
    WBPP Error 2.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 50
  • WBPP Error 3.jpg
    WBPP Error 3.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 43
which exposure tolerance control was the right one? i was going to suggest that but i was not sure which one was appropriate to change in this instance.

thanks

rob

The "correct" technical answer is to reduce the exposure tolerance to the smallest whole number that is less than or equal to the least difference between your exposures -- so if your exposures are 6, 8, and 13, the tolerance setting should be 2. For practical purposes, I am just leaving the tolerance at 0 so I won't have to mess with it ever again. One cool thing is if your tolerance is set too high and you are getting the groupings shown in my screenshots, once you start adjusting the tolerance setting downwards, the groupings will start to "ungroup" as the settings move towards the correct setting. It is a way to test your exposure tolerance setting "on the fly" if you will.

Last edited:
well i guess i meant that there is an exposure tolerance control for darks and lights, but not flats. i assume you are adjusting the tolerance for the darks?

Back