Calculate Stack Pixel-by-Pixel Statistics?

badgie3

Is it possible to calculate the per-pixel statistics of a stack in pixinsight? I would like to understand, e.g. the distribution of read noise on my sensor. It appears to me that PI keeps all images in memory during stacking so it looks like it would be possible to also calculate e.g. MAD and SQRT(BWMV) per pixel. Can this be done? It would be nice to dump a set of statistics frames into the integration as is currently done with clipping. Thanks!

Is it possible to calculate the per-pixel statistics of a stack in pixinsight? I would like to understand, e.g. the distribution of read noise on my sensor. It appears to me that PI keeps all images in memory during stacking so it looks like it would be possible to also calculate e.g. MAD and SQRT(BWMV) per pixel. Can this be done? It would be nice to dump a set of statistics frames into the integration as is currently done with clipping. Thanks!
Hi @badgie3, we are planning to implement a dedicated script that inspects the pixel stacks to provide the stack statistical data and rejection plots. This requires a joint effort between me and Juan since the script will probably work in synergy with a new process that will unify and handle the normalization strategies available in PixInsight.
The discussion is ongoing, and some preliminary development has been done. I hope this will come in the near future since I am already doing this analysis with an external tool, and they are fantastic. It's really worth having them in PI.

Stay tuned :)

Cool, I'll keep doing it with astropy for the time being, lookingfoward to keeping everything in PI! Thanks for the great tool!

Back