Annotation script

Thanks, Jeff and Andres,

I was thinking the same thing as Jeff. I've been waiting on a new focuser, and so I haven't been out collecting data for a few months. Didn't have a lot of old data to play with, either, so I've been on a bit of an imaging hiatus. I've kept reading the PI forum, though, and have been holding off on installing 1.8, for the same reasons Jeff mentioned. Hearing someone say that the current 1.8 seems to be as stable as 1.7... that's reassuring to me.

I should install 1.8 soon, once my main computer comes back from having its HDD replaced.

Thanks,
Marek

Andres-
  Could I make a small suggestion for the annotation script?  I would love to see an option that prevents drawing circles larger than, say, 1/4 of the image size, so that images focusing on a single target aren't impacted by the large circles.  I give the example of my application to m101:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9906726@N08/8802974575/lightbox/

where the modification I am suggesting would let the user choose something like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9906726@N08/8750894463/lightbox/

which is less obtrusive on the main object in the image.  The circles are great for picking out small objects but not so great for the dominant large ones.

Anyway, that's something you might consider that I think would be helpful.
Thanks for the great script(s).
-Jeff

I love this script. But I think I miss something. In post #215 you show an image with all kinds of catalogs. I have the latest version (1.7) here in pixinsight but it seems all these catalogs have disappeared? Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: already found it...

Hello There,

I made an Image of the SN Region near Sagitta and would like to plate solve and annotate it. I tried several things but in don't work. On astrometry.net it was no problem to solve.  The images are only 15 seconds on a tripod.

Has anybody an idea.

Thanks

Greetings

Karsten

Attachments

• Nova.jpg
    Nova.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 78
Solidarity said:
I made an Image of the SN Region near Sagitta and would like to plate solve and annotate it. I tried several things but in don't work. On astrometry.net it was no problem to solve.  The images are only 15 seconds on a tripod.
You can try two things:
  • If you have solved the image in NOVA.astrometry.net you can download from there the solved image in FITS format ("New FITS image"). This image should work with AnnotateImage.
    Since the image seems to have a short focal length it probably has distortions in the corners. In this case you can try to optimize it with ImageSolver checking the "OnlyOptimize" parameter and selecting a polynomial degree of 4 or 5.
  • If you are able to recognize some stars in the image you can use ManualImageSolver for solving it. Please read the documentation for learning to use it.

In any case, without knowing more data about the image I can not help you more. I would need the approximate coordinates of the center, the pixel size and focal length or the resolution (in arcseconds/pixel). Also, if the image is public in NOVA, please send me the link.

I have been able to solve the image using ManualImageSolver:
Code:
Image Plate Solver script version 3.2
===============================================================================
Referentiation Matrix (Gnomonic projection = Matrix * Coords[x,y]):
            -0.00626823          +0.0134593            -4.03757
             -0.0134909         -0.00624971            +26.4892
                     +0                  +0                  +1
Projection origin.. [1500.006121 998.998218]pix -> [RA:+20 03 31.34 Dec:+24 36 55.13]
Polynomial degree.. 5
Resolution ........ 53.488 arcsec/pix
Rotation .......... -65.015 deg
Focal ............. 21.60 mm
Pixel size ........ 5.60 um
Field of view ..... 44d 34' 23.8" x 29d 41' 8.9"
Image center ...... RA: 20 03 31.337  Dec: +24 36 55.15
Image bounds:
   top-left ....... RA: 19 40 27.422  Dec: +49 32 53.33
   top-right ...... RA: 18 36 35.229  Dec: +10 01 10.60
   bottom-left .... RA: 21 50 03.794  Dec: +35 23 04.41
   bottom-right ... RA: 20 18 23.503  Dec: -00 26 57.48
===============================================================================

Attached to this message there is a .xpsm icon with the FITS header of the solution. You can apply this icon to your image. I have also attached a distortion map of your camera.

Attachments

• SagittaSolution.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 75
  • SagittaDistortions.png
    SagittaDistortions.png
    270.3 KB · Views: 84
Solidarity said:
The image "new-image.fits" can't be opened in PI. Any idea why?

http://nova.astrometry.net/user_images/71103#annotated
This is strange. I have downloaded several times images from nova.astrometry.net without problems.

In your case, the image "new-image.fits" seems to be wrong. It doesn't pass the test in the FITS Tester page:
http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/fits_verify.html
http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/urlfitsverifier.pl?file=http%3A%2F%2Fnova.astrometry.net%2Fnew_fits_file%2F83494

I think that you should report this problem to astrometry.net.

Hi Anders,

I had a try with the manual solver and it worked very well. Thanks for the great Tutorial.

Attachments

• .facebook_2121018002.jpg
    .facebook_2121018002.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 151
I have been using this script for some time and it has proven most useful for many situations & sparked great interest on the forum I frequent.... well done for developing it  8)

One enhancement I would request to make it complete would be an easy way of obtaining a list of the objects detected in the image - maybe in text format?

Thanks

Phil

Hi

Just to say this is a fantastic script  :-*

Would be great if we could get more information on the identified objects  i.e Mag etc

probably to much to ask , but I asked anyway  ;D

Harry

Harry page said:
Hi

Just to say this is a fantastic script  :-*

Would be great if we could get more information on the identified objects  i.e Mag etc

probably to much to ask , but I asked anyway  ;D

Harry

You can do this using the script AnnotateImage. You can define up to 8 labels for each star with values extracted from the catalogs. Please, watch the attache image.

Attachments

• Image05.jpg
    Image05.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 155
I use time to time annotate script and I find it quit neat. I have one request: is it possible to get on a output file (txt) with the list of the objects found? It would be great to use this list (or a partial one) to create the "tags" of the image analyzed to for search robots when the image is posted on a website..

Clear skies
Marco

lorenzi said:
I use time to time annotate script and I find it quit neat. I have one request: is it possible to get on a output file (txt) with the list of the objects found? It would be great to use this list (or a partial one) to create the "tags" of the image analyzed to for search robots when the image is posted on a website..

Clear skies
Marco

It is an interesting idea but I don't know when I could implement it since I am currently quite busy.

Finally I have found some time for implementing this request: AnnotateImage has now an option for saving a text file with the objects of the catalogs inside the image.

It is important to take into account that the script doesn't "detect" the objects. It simply reads the objects from the catalogs and draws them where they should be. The objects can be too dim to be visible or the catalog can be wrong.

The text file has a block of lines for each active catalog. The first line of each catalog is the identifier of the catalog, the second is the description of the catalog. The next lines are a semicolon separated table. In this table the first line contains the headers of the columns and next there is a line for each object. The lines are ended with a simple carriage return so in Windows it will be necessary a text editor which can read this kind of files. You can use Notepad++, OpenOffice, WordPad or MSOffice (ie. Excel). You can use the function "Text to columns" in Excel for splitting the file in columns.

If the image has a file path, the text file will be saved using the same directory and filename but with the extension ".objects.txt". If the image has not a file path the script will ask for the path of the text file using the standard file dialog.

The code of the scripts is in the attached "AdP.7z" file.

Attachments

• AdP.7z
    220.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Example.objects.txt
    20.9 KB · Views: 118
Back