AnnotateImage runs with error in PixInsight 1.8.8-6

Subaru

When I run AnnotateImage after running PixInsight for a while, it returns the following error.

The image is already plate solved.

This does not happen when I do a fresh start of PixInsight, or a restart after closing the program.

Core version: 1.8.8-6 (x64), running in Windows 10.

Rendering annotation

** Warning [162]: C:/Program Files/PixInsight/src/scripts/AdP/AnnotateImage.js, line 1141: reference to undefined property (intermediate value)[(intermediate value)].pos

*** Error: TypeError: (intermediate value)[(intermediate value)].pos is undefined

This problem cannot be reproduced on any platform. It has not been reported before, either. Can you please upload (Dropbox, WeTransfer, etc) an image where we can reproduce it?

I can upload an XISF, but the problem is, it did not happen when I run AnnotateImage just after I start PixInsight, but this error is encountered for all images after I do some processing of other images. This is quite strange, and I notice this error came after the release 1.8.8

I upload an XISF for testing

Hi Juan,

I've bumped into the same issue. I do perform some unrelated processing, solve the image and then attempt to annotate. This triggers the above problem for me.

Juan, I have also gotten this error. After using the image solver script, if I then run the annotate script it triggers the error. If I close PixInsight, relaunch, reopen the solved image and run the script again, it works. Windows 10 with all latest updates running on an i7 processor.

Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce this problem. It is not reproducible on any of our machines, on any platform, with any image.

Unless we can find a repeatable pattern, or an image or set of images where this can be reproduced, these are machine-specific issues.

Hi Juan,

I can no longer reproduce the error. For reference, my machine is a new i7 / Windows 10. My best guess for the origin of the issue is something intermittent involving StarNet or another third-party script or module that leaves PI in a bad state.

I think I found the condition which triggers this error: when I click any script of the EZ Processing Suite, this error comes when AnnotateImage runs.

It is not the StarNet triggers this issue.

As noted, this is not reproducible. Please note that the scripts you mention are not part of the official PixInsight distribution.

I just ran into the same issue. I processed my image, IC1848. Ran the EZ-Suite star reduction tool. I then ran image solver, then annotate image. I received the same error message. I saved my file, then re-opened PI and it was able to annotate.

the author of EZ Suite reported this:

juan can comment on whether or not resetting the javascript runtime is a good idea and/or has any negative side effects.

rob

juan can comment on whether or not resetting the javascript runtime is a good idea and/or has any negative side effects.
Resetting the Javascript engine resets the cache of catalogs. Usually this is not a big issue, but makes the scripts to reload the catalogs from the Vizier server.

A reset of the JavaScript engine should not be necessary. Something in these scripts is breaking the JavaScript runtime in ways that in turn break other well-proven scripts. This has never happened before.

To understand the problem we'd have to analyze the source code of these scripts and how they are changing things globally, but this can be very time consuming work. I'm sorry but I'm involved in many ongoing priority projects and can't afford investing time in this issue at present. If resetting the JS runtime allows you to continue working, at least you have a workaround.

I have had this problem for a long time, not only the latest version PI. I found the issue only exist when I checked constellation line layer. All other layers worked well for me except constellation line layer.

I have had this problem for a long time, not only the latest version PI. I found the issue only exist when I checked constellation line layer. All other layers worked well for me except constellation line layer.

Thank you, this solved it for me.

Back