Animation from Blink?

alanrock

Is their some (relatively easy) way to convert the blink output into an "animation" of sorts? Last night I imaged NGC3344 while an asteroid passed in front of it. I have a bunch of subs covering the time span of the event. I was able to blink the subs after registration by telling Star Alignment to use an XISF posffix, otherwise Blink wouldn't recognize the files. Now that I have overcome that hurdle, I would love to convert the blinked images to an animation. Is there a way to do this in Pixinsight? I'm on a Mac, btw.

yes - you need ffmpeg to do this. PI already has a command set up in Blink with ffmpeg (click the little movie clapper icon in Blink and you will see it.)

perhaps the easiest way to get ffmpeg is to install homebrew and then install ffmpeg (brew install ffmpeg from the terminal.) PI may not have the homebrew directory in it's own PATH variable so you might have to type in the full pathname to ffmpeg (/usr/local/bin/ffmpeg)

rob

yes - you need ffmpeg to do this. PI already has a command set up in Blink with ffmpeg (click the little movie clapper icon in Blink and you will see it.)

perhaps the easiest way to get ffmpeg is to install homebrew and then install ffmpeg (brew install ffmpeg from the terminal.) PI may not have the homebrew directory in it's own PATH variable so you might have to type in the full pathname to ffmpeg (/usr/local/bin/ffmpeg)

rob
"movie clapper" is going to be my new favorite term.
Thanks!

Is there some other way besides changing the postfix in Star Alignment to get Blink to read registered files? I feel like this was a band aid solution.

hmm, blink should be able to use any file format that PI can read, so fits, tiff and even CR2... what file type were you using in Star Alignment?

XISF is the PI-native file format and juan developed it to overcome a lot of the problems with FITS files, so PI definitely expects to use XISF features in its own processes...

isn't that little thing called a clapper? like to establish AV sync among different cameras and sound recording devices? well i guess google says it's a "clapperboard" but close enough :)

rob

Back