AIC2010

NigelB

Hi all

If like me you have been waiting for the presentations from AIC2010 to be available (incl Rogelio's Processing talk) you may be disappointed by the email I received today from Jay GaBany

Earlier this year, the AIC Board of Directors decided to limit access to the 2010 conference presentations.  As a result, the 2010 meeting presentations are only available to conference attendees the second half of 2011.  All of the previous year's presentations are still available for anyone to download.

I will put you on our mailing list so that you will be informed when the
2010 presentations are widely available.

R. Jay GaBany
AIC Webmaster and Marcom

Nigel  :'(

yeah, it's silly. the place was packed and i'm not sure how limiting the talk collateral is going to encourage more people to attend. if anything it's pissing people off :)

RBA's PDF is really good; the text of his presentation is on each slide so you can actually learn something even though you were not there. most of the other PDFs are simply the slides so sometimes they are hard to follow.

In AIC's defense, the conference owns the intellectual property of the presentations and I can understand they don't want to just give it away. There has to be a tangible benefit to attending the conference besides just rubbing shoulders with your peers.

I've considered asking Al Degutis to make my MWAIC presentation available publicly (he sent out DVDs with recordings to all attendees) but then what's the reason for going next year? I think he sells the DVDs and perhaps AIC could do something similar (selling presentation material) but then there would be extra demands on the quality of the handouts. As you noted not all are like RBA's.

Sure, except they gave the presentations away for every year prior, and that apparently had no negative effect on attendance. That place was packed in 2010. I don't think holding back the presentation collateral is going to make people want to attend. In fact as you observed, unless holding it back somehow increases the quality of the collateral I might feel ripped off if I attended just to get the slides. All they need to do is have high profile presenters (like he kepler and Hubble guys) and people will come. FWIW those 2 talks plus RBA is why I went.

I thought a compromise, like voice over slideshows, would work fine. There was plenty at the conference that you just "had to be there" for, I thought.

In my email from the AIC...it stated:

2010 Conference Presentations Now Available Without Restriction

The complete set of 2010 conference presentations are now available to download and review at your convenience. All previous restrictions on the 2010 files have been removed. Following is a list of links to each of the AIC's archives.

2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010

Here is the link to the 2010 presentations...

http://www.aicccd.com/archive/2010_presentation_archive.html

bud

Thanks a lot for this link; RBA's presentation is really excellent. A good exercise for reprocessing some of my images.

Back