After ImageIntegration, the resulting image is not marked as needing to be saved

johnpane

This may be intentional, but from my perspective it seems like it might be an oversight (bug).

After a very long computation such as ImageIntegration, all of the work can be lost if the user closes the image without saving. It seems like the image should be marked as needing to be saved so the user would be warned about this.

John

Hi John,

Of course this is not an oversight at all. It's just a logical consequence of they way image properties evolve dynamically as images are created, modified, and saved.

The newly generated image has its modification counter set to zero initially, since nothing has been modified in it, so it has an empty processing history (i.e. an empty process container). Altering this behavior to create a special case for ImageIntegration would be a violation of architectural design principles with unpredictable consequences. One of the strongest points of PixInsight is its internal coherence.

That said, a new property of image objects (different from and unrelated to processing histories) could be created to manage these situations for convenience, with the only purpose to show a warning message when the image window is about to be closed. I'll see how this could be implemented in a future version. Thank you for this insight.

Thank you for the explanation and for considering a possible workaround.

One way to operationalize this might be if the image being closed has its location on disk null or uninitialized.

I still seek this feature as a protection from losing computationally expensive work, especially if the user sets up a process container to perform multiple integrations in sequence. For example, with my CFA color images, I have a process container specifying three ImageIntegration runs and three DrizzleIntegration runs.

It could be implemented as mentioned above, or perhaps the UI for ImageIntegration and DrizzleIntegration could be augmented to give the user the ability to save the image at the conclusion of the integration. Or, maybe a process or javascript script instance that locates the most recently created image and saves it to disk, which could be inserted into the process container right after an integration process.

Seconding the request. The current system also risks losing data if the PC crashes after the integration is done unattended (typically overnight runs with large datasets / slower PCs).

It would be great to either have the master saved automatically after integration (like WBPP), or have an option in Image / Drizzle Integration to save on completion.

Thanks

Back