ACDNR - Crash with Mac Pro 5.1.

I report a recurrent crash with ACDNR on my Mac Pro 5.1 (2010). Latest version of Pixinsight on board. It ALWAYS crashes with ACDNR as I turn the preview window on. Same behavior each time I try to use this tool. Thanks.

OSX Mojave, dual 6 core XEON processor 3.33Ghz; 96GB ram. GPU Sapphire RX 580-8GB.

Attachments

• ACDNR - Crash .pdf
    225.5 KB · Views: 83
This is not a bug in PixInsight. It is a bug in your graphics driver:

Code:
0   libsystem_platform.dylib          0x00007fff7702c6e2 _platform_memmove$VARIANT$Nehalem + 258
1   libGLImage.dylib                  0x00007fff53ee7377 glgProcessPixelsWithProcessor + 2302
2   com.apple.AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver  0x0000000117e1c450 glrATIModifyTexSubImageCPU + 1337
3   com.apple.AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver  0x0000000117e3625a glrWriteTextureData + 1419

Upgrading your system to macOS 10.15 Catalina should fix this problem, assuming a new driver version without this bug exists. Another possibility is running PixInsight without hardware graphics acceleration. From a terminal, you can run the following command:

/Applications/PixInsight/PixInsight.app/Contents/MacOS/PixInsight --opengl=raster

Let me know if this helps.

I get this error from the terminal:

QOpenGLContext::makeCurrent() called with non-opengl surface 0x7f8c86eddc90
qt.qpa.backingstore: composeAndFlush: makeCurrent() failed

And ACDNR crashes again.

Last edited:
I upgraded to Catalina, but I still encounter a problem with ACDNR. It crashes. I attach the error I get.

Attachments

• ACDNR_crash_PixInsight [657].pdf
    223.3 KB · Views: 47
I cannot reproduce this problem. ACDNR works perfectly on all of our Mac machines with macOS Catalina. I'll keep trying to reproduce it, but I'm sorry to say that if I cannot reproduce a nontrivial problem, there is no way I can fix it.

Ok I noticed something (maybe useful) with Catalina that didn't happen with Mojave. If I apply ACDNR to a very small preview (I'll test it more to say how small) it crashes; on large previews it runs, but I can't tell if this behavior is always so. I'll keep on checking and eventually report the error again. Thank you. F.

On a THIS SMALL preview it crashes for sure.

Attachments

• Schermata 2020-11-16 alle 16.42.51.png
    Schermata 2020-11-16 alle 16.42.51.png
    190.1 KB · Views: 37
I checked a few times more and it seems to depend on the preview dimensions. SMALL PREVIEWS are crashing it all. I attach the log.
Thanks. F.

Attachments

• ACDNR SMALL PREVIEW ERROR.pdf
    235.5 KB · Views: 93
Bug confirmed. Thank you for the investigative work. Indeed there is a problem in ACDNR with very small images, which I can reproduce as well as the crash you are reporting on macOS (no crash on other platforms). The workaround is using slightly larger previews, such as 80x80 for example.

I'll try to fix this bug in the upcoming version 1.8.8-7 of PixInsight. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Back