A few new (and different) behaviors since 1.8.8.9-1

slabkoff

Hi,
I’ve recently installed ver 1.8.8.9-1 and have noticed a few new behaviors that I can’t explain:

I shot with an Astro-modified Nikon D750 - it produces NEF RAW files.

1. In WBPP, my darks have been binning in to 2 bins, not 1 - one in portrait, and one in landscape. That splits them - and not evenly. Probably because when I shoot my darks, I usually put the camera in my camera bag on the way home… the camera orientation changes and there are portrait and landscape darks - but in the past, that did not matter… Now it seems to.

2. I’m getting a new light’s file at the end with a suffix “LN” that I’ve not seen before. Might be related to the 2 bins of darks, but I don’t know what the LN means. When I stretch both, they look very close to identical, though I’ve not run pixel math on them to see if they actually are or not…

3. When starting up PixInsight, I’m getting an error (which this Am as I’m traveling, I can’t remember the specific message), but the only way to force PI to start is to start w/ the control key pressed and erase my prefs… THat works, biut then I have to reinstall my scripts (AutoColor, and Astrowell’s Adam Block Star De-emphasis scripts). After those are reloaded, then I can’t reboot PI any more…

Help would be appreciated on any or all of these errors/behaviors.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

I can help on (2). The default behaviour of the Local Normalisation is to use an integration of your best frames as a reference for the normalisation. The new file you are seeing is that integrated reference image.

Regarding point 1:
Proprietary raw files (in your case: Nikon NEF raw files) are decoded by PixInsight's RAW module. The RAW Format Preferences (Format Explorer, double click on 'RAW') must be set to 'Pure raw'. This effects (among other things) that the orientation of the camera during image acquisition does not change the orientation of an opened frame (the option 'No image flip' must be enabled in RAW Format Preferences). By the way, frames are never binned by the RAW module.

Regarding point 2:
LN means LocalNormalization. If you don't want to use LN, disable it in the WBPP script, Tab 'Lights'.

Regarding point 3:
Please jot down the text of the error message and post it here.

Bernd

Bernd:
I'm back from my travels. The message I'm getting before PI quits (after installing 1.8.8.9-1 - and reinstalling my scripts - Astrowell star reduction and Autocolor) is this:

Invalid or empty file name

This message pops up and then PI quits...

Any ideas? If I open it w/ a CTRL key pressed and erase prefs, that fixes things but I then need to go back in and reconfigure everything - and it happens again...

I'm on an iMacPro with 64GB RAM and plenty of SSD space - on Intel Silicon running MacOS 11.x

Steve

this is an error that has been reported before, and i did ask juan if he could print the filename (if not empty) and/or what the xml tag is for the string in question. basically this error is saying that some pathname called out in the pixinsight preferences file does not exist, or the file does not exist, or the filename is somehow empty.

posting your pixinsight preferences file might be helpful to start debugging this, though we wouldnt be able to tell which filenames/pathnames happen to be invalid on your system.

rob

Back