A beginners observations and questions...

Tul

So, I've recently gotten my trial account and was ready to get going…

I've read a couple of 'primers' and followed a tutorial for HaOSC combination (by The Elf), but despite having this super good and slow tutorial, it really is uphill.
As an engineer, I've used lots of complex software, but rarely had the feeling that the whole interface is made to fight you.
There are so many actions where I wonder why they didn't make it simpler, easier, or at least follow conventions.
It would be so easy to make a guided flow for the most common actions that almost everyone will take - And maybe allow you to save some parameters for your own setup.

I started out running the subframe selector on my Ha data (from my OSC) and it told me to use the absolute worst frames! I'm guessing because the stars were really small in G and B channels... Fortunately I discovered that myself, split the CFA from the whole group and then ran it again with better results…
A warning somewhere might have been nice.
An option to use only R/G or B channel? It might be in there, but worded to complex for me to spot it.

2 concrete issues that I had, that someone may help me understand.

1) Pixelmath. I'm trying to make an image out of the maximum pixel values from 2 images but get an error that the argument is not as expected. If I simply add them (Image1+Image2) then its fine but the max function max(Image1, Image2) fails. I can see others have used it... Has it been changed?

2) StarAlignment… I just wonder again why it has to be so complicated… My image was messed up, first as I chose a non-calibrated image as reference (no warnings or notes of any kind) and got checkerboards pattern all over. I managed to google other peoples frustrations and found the answer.
Next up, it messed up the stars in my Ha image. I didn't notice until an hours work later, but all the bigger stars in my Ha images got circles around them. I made a small study and found the issue with all the Lanczos algorithms, too big stars with the Mitchell-Netraveli and cubic-Bspline but the best result with Bicubic-spline. Of course nearest neighbour was perfect when viewed on single image basis, I didn't integrate all the stacks to see who made the best result.
I just wonder why there wasn't a button for NB images…
Or a pop-up saying this looks like a narrowband image, I suggest you use THIS…
Or even a warning in the mouse-over text?
Deepskystacker always ate whatever I threw at it, I never had such issues. Is there some other factor that I'm completely missing in Staralignment?

Strangely, my images are twice the resolution in X&Y after StarAlignment, I found no option or description of why. Thought it might be Drizzle, but no indication in the description here…

Well, if you read this far, then thank you for listening! I guess my frustrations are showing at this point... But still I hope I'll get to grips with PI within the trial period. So far, I spend about the same time getting to the same result with DSS+PS. If I can speed that up or learn to get an even better result, the value would show.

1) Pixelmath. I'm trying to make an image out of the maximum pixel values from 2 images but get an error that the argument is not as expected. If I simply add them (Image1+Image2) then its fine but the max function max(Image1, Image2) fails. I can see others have used it... Has it been changed?
No changes that I know of. I wonder if you have selected Image1 and Image2 that are not same format (grey or RGB) - since you are processing both types of image. If they are both monochrome the result is obvious. If they are both RGB the max function will operate on a channel-by-channel basis. Both of these options should work.

Strangely, my images are twice the resolution in X&Y after StarAlignment, I found no option or description of why. Thought it might be Drizzle, but no indication in the description here…
The images output by StarAlignment should be the same dimensions as the reference image (which could be completely different from the images submitted for alignment). For example, if a 4000x4000 image is specified as reference, and a set of frames (overlapping the same region, possibly at different scales and rotations) with sizes 1000x1000, 1500x1000, 2000x3000 are submitted for alignment, each aligned frame will be scaled, rotated, interpolated and (if required) clipped into a 4000x4000 registered output frame aligned with the reference frame.

Last edited:
you may have just gotten unlucky on #1 - there was a bug in a recent update to the PM module that broke the tokenizer, so the lack of spaces around the commas in the max() expression might have messed things up (if you got a "disassociated expression" error then that was the problem. if you check for updates again it should be fixed.

have you ever used an IC or board design cad tool like magma or allegro? because if you've used those i can't see how PI is at all worse :)

I'm currently struggling with an ancient Finite Element Method modelling tool called Ansys - PI is a dream of simplicity in comparison!

Thanks for replies, the output resolution makes sense now.
The PM issue persists, I've attached images to show the parse result.

I've used board design tools (Altium) a lot way back, it was a breeze - And I've used a dos-based FE tool for thermal analysis, I just dont recall this kind of system-wide frustration. Not giving up though, I want to get there.

Attachments

• error.png
    error.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 42
  • noerror.png
    noerror.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 43
I've tried really hard to reproduce this PM issue (e.g. using images of different sizes; using mixed grey/RGB images); so far all efforts have worked fine.
I do not really understand what is being displayed in the "parse" window in the error case. Could you post a screenshot of the PM dialog settings as well as the expression editor. If you select "max" under "functions" in the "syntax" tree do you get a description like this?
1611653539806.png

If not, you may need to update PM.

I was getting the same error in the max function with the new PM before the recent update. Worth checking that you are running the latest version.

Gordon

Note the following PM update:
Title : PixelMath module version 1.8.1 (update/bugfix)
Repository : https://pixinsight.com/update/1.8.8-7/
File name : 20210124-windows-x64-module.zip
Release date : 2021-01-24 00:00:00
  • Fixed wrong detection of non-invariant instances of statistical functions (such as min(A,B) when A and B are image references)

Ha, that did it! I thought i had updated everything at installation, but apparently not everything had been installed.
Now it works.
Thanks for the help, appreciated.

Back