macOS Big Sur - Is it Safe?

I've done a test processing run on ~100 OSC subs on an iMac running PI 1.8.8.6 under MacOS 11.0.1 and it worked fine. Haven't tried everything (of course!), but no trouble with fairly standard preprocessing, NR, decon, stretch, etc.

On that note, I have to buy a new MacBook at moth end and see on the new laptops released this week that Apple is using it's own chip now. Will that cause any difficulty?

there was another thread asking about this and unfortunately juan did not respond, so we don't know. while i'm sure it will require some work, juan already has to use Xcode to build PI for OSX and i'm sure the M1 is just yet another architecture target for Xcode. perhaps though the 3rd party libraries PI uses may be a problem. only time will tell.

rob

there was another thread asking about this and unfortunately juan did not respond, so we don't know. while i'm sure it will require some work, juan already has to use Xcode to build PI for OSX and i'm sure the M1 is just yet another architecture target for Xcode. perhaps though the 3rd party libraries PI uses may be a problem. only time will tell.

rob
I'm sure if third party libraries will catch up.It will be my first hands on experience with PI and a whole new imaging rig so I know I have an enormous learning curve ahead of me. I'd just hate to be behind the 8-ball just after a new computer purchase. After a solid week of shovelling out from a blizzard,Im ready for some indoor diversions.

On that note, I have to buy a new MacBook at moth end and see on the new laptops released this week that Apple is using it's own chip now. Will that cause any difficulty?

I would hold off on the new M1 chip for now or wait for version 2 and if you have to have a new Mac just get an Intel which will still be in wide spread use for another 3 or 4 years (going off of the PowerPC to Intel switch).

Well I might be wrong reviews are coming out and looks like Rosetta 2 translation is really good. Check out The Verge review

I am pretty impressed. There are several benchmarks posted to the database run on macOS with the CPU indicated as "VirtualApple" - I assume that's what the OS is reporting to PixInsight when the program is run under Rosetta 2. If so, then it appears that the CPU benchmark scores on the M1 running through translation are on par with the i7 9750H on my 16" MBP.

Last edited:
Back