WBPP 2.4.3 Released

I did not use any keywords. I even tried to use some keywords at one point to see if I could override the behavior (it did not, so I abandoned the idea). I fully reset the WBPP script settings in my own troubleshooting, so the issue I described happens after simply loading Lights into it.

Re: my previous message, removing the BAYERPAT FITS headers resolved the issue — so I believe the WBPP script (on some level) is grouping images based on this and not only the criteria you listed.

I remember that the telescope system I used had some camera / software pipeline issues around the time I took the images with "BAYERPAT = 'INVALID'". More recent images (after those issues were fixed) correctly do not show this header. Under most circumstances, I'd imagine that an 'INVALID' Bayer pattern entry wouldn't be present in the headers, so this is most likely an edge case. But it sounds like it's still revealing some unexpected behavior in WBPP?
I double-checked how WBPP handles the BAYERPAT keyword: if a frame contains that keyword, then it assumes that it's a CFA image, disregarding the value.

When the files are added by WBPP, every single file is associated with the information of being a CFA image or not, and grey images are never grouped together with CFA images, in calibration mode.
When you change the group's CFA checkbox, the change occurs at the group level but nothing changes on the file descriptor level, this means that original grey files get always separated from CFA ones in calibration mode and you'll always see two groups, disregarding that they both appear as grey or CFA.
The difference occurs in the post-calibration panel, where files are recombined accordingly to the group's property, so in post-calibration, files may get grouped together, disregarding their initial file descriptor settings saying that they were CFA or grey.

This confirms the behaviour you've reported:
- files with BAYERPAT=INVALID are considered CFA and get separated from the grey ones
- overriding the group settings marks the files as grey but does not group them together with the other grey ones
- removing the BAYERPAT from the FITS header makes the files being interpreted as grey and grouped together with the others

So, all works as expected :)

I double-checked how WBPP handles the BAYERPAT keyword: if a frame contains that keyword, then it assumes that it's a CFA image, disregarding the value.

When the files are added by WBPP, every single file is associated with the information of being a CFA image or not, and grey images are never grouped together with CFA images, in calibration mode.
When you change the group's CFA checkbox, the change occurs at the group level but nothing changes on the file descriptor level, this means that original grey files get always separated from CFA ones in calibration mode and you'll always see two groups, disregarding that they both appear as grey or CFA.
The difference occurs in the post-calibration panel, where files are recombined accordingly to the group's property, so in post-calibration, files may get grouped together, disregarding their initial file descriptor settings saying that they were CFA or grey.

This confirms the behaviour you've reported:
- files with BAYERPAT=INVALID are considered CFA and get separated from the grey ones
- overriding the group settings marks the files as grey but does not group them together with the other grey ones
- removing the BAYERPAT from the FITS header makes the files being interpreted as grey and grouped together with the others

So, all works as expected :)

Glad to hear it, and thank you for these details! It's very helpful to my understanding.

Just downloaded WBPP update 5/27/2022 and the entire interface is changed and collapsed. Most notable is the removal of the individual buttons for calibration files: Bias, Darks, Flats, Lights. Now a popup with the list. Any way to put the load buttons back on the screen?

Just downloaded WBPP update 5/27/2022 and the entire interface is changed and collapsed. Most notable is the removal of the individual buttons for calibration files: Bias, Darks, Flats, Lights. Now a popup with the list. Any way to put the load buttons back on the screen?
This GUI mode occurs on low-resolution screens. What screen resolution do you currently have?

Here ya go. Full screen capture of raw open of PI followed by raw open of WBPP.
M1 MacBook Pro: 14-inch (3024 × 1964)
MacOS Monterey 12.4 (just updated last night)

Jim in Colorado

Attachments

• PI-WBPP Screenshot at Open copy.jpg
    PI-WBPP Screenshot at Open copy.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 98
Here ya go. Full screen capture of raw open of PI followed by raw open of WBPP.
M1 MacBook Pro: 14-inch (3024 × 1964)
MacOS Monterey 12.4 (just updated last night)

Jim in Colorado
thx I'll investigate

Tidbit: I was running PI in full expanded screen, but letting WBPP open on its own... it defaulted to a very large floating window (previous screen shot). If I hit the GREEN button and expanded WBPP itself to full screen, then the full set of buttons appeared. (Attached).
Jim

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 8.57.34 AM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 8.57.34 AM copy.jpg
    531.7 KB · Views: 81
My screen is 1600 x 900 and it defaults to the new mode. As it happens, I preferred the prior version. Is there a way for me to default to the « normal mode « ?
Thank you

Using latest WBPP 5/27/2022, when I clicked on the little info-expand icon upper right, as expected the file list window shrank to left half and setting options expanded to right half. But, the button to set the TARGET OUTPUT FOLDER, disappeared. See attached image. Jim

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 12.42.01 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 12.42.01 PM copy.jpg
    494.4 KB · Views: 98
Using latest WBPP 5/27/2022, when I clicked on the little info-expand icon upper right, as expected the file list window shrank to left half and setting options expanded to right half. But, the button to set the TARGET OUTPUT FOLDER, disappeared. See attached image. Jim
Hi @heyjp,

this I the standard behavior on small resolution screens, anyway there are several cases where the GUI seems to be activated when not necessary.
I'll probably make this collapsed version manually activable so anyone can switch to it as needed.

Now that WBPP is reaching a more mature state, it seems no longer just useful as a draft run. I'm finding I go straight from the WBPP to drizzle integration.

Since drizzle integration is fairly light on customization, the LN files already built, rejection largely done -- how about a check box (and a few parameters especially kernel function) for drizzle.

Drizzle is by far the longest running part; I put it in a process container and often leave it overnight. It would be nice to have all that just follow WBPP, then WBPP could start at bedtime, and ensure the computer stays warm all though the cold night, with the files all saved in the morning.

Since drizzle integration is fairly light on customization, the LN files already built, rejection largely done -- how about a check box (and a few parameters especially kernel function) for drizzle.

I’ll second that request. Would make the most of an overnight WBPP run.

I have just installed Version 1.8.9-1 and WBPP 2.4.4 and still do not get any script documentation for WBPP. My computer is using Windows 10. What do I have to do to get the documentation?

Thank you.

I have just installed Version 1.8.9-1 and WBPP 2.4.4 and still do not get any script documentation for WBPP. My computer is using Windows 10. What do I have to do to get the documentation?

Thank you.
There is no official documentation at the moment, but it will come. @astroedo is working hard on producing the documentation for many processes, WBPP is on his todo list with high priority :)
You may refer to @ngc1535 Adam Block's youtube video series The definive Guide to WBPP 2.1 in PixInsight, this is a comprehensive guide on the tool and, more in general, on the calibration process.

Also don't forget paying a careful read to Bernd Landmann's Guide to Preprocessing of Raw Data with PixInsight:

Hi, I am trying to run wbpp using a set of data from a qhy294M pro camera. I have created a master bias using the image integration process and am now pluggin this bias along with raw flats, flat darks, flats, and lights. Everything seems to be ok but for some reason it doesn't seem like the bias frames are being used, i.e. they have a grey cross next to them, giving me a matching error. I've tried with raw bias files too with no luck. All calibration frames where captured on the same night using the same software/same script within that software. gain, offsets, and temps are the same. Any ideas as to why it would do this?

Normally you would need either

- lights, darks matching the lights, flats and bias frames or
- lights, darks matching the lights, flats and darks matching the flats (= flat-darks).

WBPP 2.4.4 also specifies dimensions (width and height in pixels) and binning of each frame type. Which property doesn't match for the bias frames?

Can you please post a screen section showing the 'Calibration' tab here?

Bernd

Back