What files do I need to keep through Drizzle Integration

Linwood

Let's assume a sequence like this (for a OSC camera):

X - original raw or fits
X_c - calibrated
X_c_cc - Cosmetically corrected
X_c_cc_d - Debayerd
X_c_cc_d_a - Approved from Subframe Selector
X_c_cc_d_a_r - Registered (from star alignment)

Now let's say I run Integration, the Drizzle Integration.

I was unpleasantly surprised once when I started deleting each prior version before going on to the next to see (I think it was) Drizzle Integration reach back to at least before the aligned version, maybe further. I think that this is complicated by the file cache, I had an issue once and cleared it, and that's when this showed up.

So now I do not delete anything until I'm done and happy with the drizzle or regular integration.

But it's a lot of extra space -- I'm in the middle of doing 332 subs, and it adds up a to a lot (on a 62mpix camera). So I thought I would ask....

How far back does integration/drizzle-integration go? Which intermediate files can you delete once you get the next version?

On a related question, I also screwed up once renaming a file _REF when I picked the reference image, then had (I think it was) Drizzle Integration fail because it was looking for the filename without the _REF. So it's not entirely obvious when this info gets captured -- I THINK it is in registration but not sure.

(This all begs the question whether you should keep them all just in case you want to start over there, but that's a separate question.)

Linwood

i think for standard drizzle, drizzle wants to see the files that went into StarAlignment.

however for OSC images if you are doing Bayer drizzle (CFA) then it probably refers back to the step before debayering, as it would not make sense to drizzle the debayered files.

rob

So basically --- all of them. :)

Except the original, which I want to keep anyway.

Postscript: Sorry, I guess I can remove the calibrated pre-cosmetic ones.

Thank you.

Last edited:
In my experience with bayer (CFA) drizzle you definitely need the calibrated files (X_c in your example). You don’t need the debayered files (_d, _d_a or _d_a_r) once you habe done alignment, registration and regular integration.
I do not use cosmetic correction, so not sure if you need to keep the X_c_cc files.
/Ralf

Thank you. That may help. Though the more I think through this, since I don't have it scripted, I'm just going to screw it up one day.

Testing is pushing me to more, shorter duration subs. It's looking like I'm going to need some more temporary space. This last run took 800 GB in intermediary files.

Well, disk is pretty cheap; I guess it's that time.

After creating the Master_Bias, Master_Dark and Master_Flat you can delete the originals.....Just make sure your Bias, Darks and Flats are 100% before hitting the delete button ;)

After creating the Master_Bias, Master_Dark and Master_Flat you can delete the originals.....Just make sure your Bias, Darks and Flats are 100% before hitting the delete button ;)
Oh, they are long gone, and compressed, but the dark and bias library is tiny.

I just spent two days integrating 300+ lights (twice, I didn't like the first try). I've come to a conclusion that Pixinsight is all a vast conspiracy by the PC manufacturers to sell more harder. A very effective one. It's possible that the streetlight vendors, who cause us all to take more and more shots trying to get rid of light pollution are part of it.

Back