Comet and less than 6 stars in the field of view

Pierre

How to align the comet when there are very few stars in the field of view? I shot over 100 subs through 1500 mm fl telescope and Star Alignment complains. Any tips?
Pierre

It depends on the complaint. You can force SA to align on very few stars.
Often the issue is hot pixels... especially when OSC or CMOS is implicated with very short exposures.
(I would bet some good money your exposures are very short if you have 100 of them!)
The other thing is the out-of-focus stars can be problematic.
How about more information like the camera used and a full scale jpeg showing the stars in your data?

Finally, it should be said that you need SA initially to produce star-aligned images. But then. CometAlignment process will actually align the comet without the need of stars (you will click on the comet).

-adam

It depends on the complaint. You can force SA to align on very few stars.
Often the issue is hot pixels... especially when OSC or CMOS is implicated with very short exposures.
(I would bet some good money your exposures are very short if you have 100 of them!)
The other thing is the out-of-focus stars can be problematic.
How about more information like the camera used and a full scale jpeg showing the stars in your data?

Finally, it should be said that you need SA initially to produce star-aligned images. But then. CometAlignment process will actually align the comet without the need of stars (you will click on the comet).

-adam
I was using my 12" f5 scope with Canon Ra.
Some stayed up all night and took hundreds as it never set the other night. Keep your money I don't need it!
Mine are short and tight tight of view.
I removed all the garbage so no out of focus.
The jpg will not fit here.
I did use Comet Align and Star Align. Reference image had 21 stars.
Will try again.

Output the detected stars of SA. It will show you what it is seeing (and not seeing). Often this is an issue with hotpixels that you need to remove with CC before debayering (as is part of the process with WBPP).
-adam

Back