Extracting Ha data from OSC using the L-eNhance duo NB filter

umasscrew39

I've been using the L-eNhance filter with my ASI533 and ASI2600 OSC cameras for a few months. I use a basic PI workflow, WBPP (I use to do each step manually) followed by some PP, e.g., ABE, color calibration, histogram transformation, noise reduction, image sharpening, and curves transformation. Images are pretty good especially considering the relatively short integration times of 120s subs for a total of 1-3 hours. However, the filter sometimes creates some undesirable color effects that PP really cannot clean up. I have seen some folks elude to ways to handle this for a better color image: 1) extracting the red channel from the image as it is basically Ha, using it as a luminance and then recombining it with the individually stretched RGB channels to get a better image and 2) extract the Ha (i.e., the red channel) and use it with the NBRGB script which I have never used.

From the above:

1- Do both of these approaches make sense (and are they in effect, the same with the same end result)?
2- If yes, which would sound like the best approach?
3- Can you please be explicit in your workflow steps if you provide any?

Thanks much,
Bruce

Last edited:
I guess there is no interest in this but I did figure it out. I reprocessed M27 from its original version (green/red version) just with the results using the L-eNhance duo band filter to the reprocessed (blue/red) version where I created a luminance channel from the red channel which is primarily Ha with the filter in place.

. Messier 27c.jpgM27 LRGB_cr_2.jpg

I'm interested as well---just got the 533 and am curious about OSC narrowband imaging so I'll be going down this road myself once I get everything on my rig dialed in. :)

I'm still trying to get a worthy first-light shot w/my 533...the problem being (and I know no one will cry for me here) I live in Hawaii and we've had 20-30mph trade winds for the month since I've gotten the camera. A new twist on the New Gear Curse. :) My good nights are REALLY good tho. I'll get there. :)

I'm still trying to get a worthy first-light shot w/my 533...the problem being (and I know no one will cry for me here) I live in Hawaii and we've had 20-30mph trade winds for the month since I've gotten the camera. A new twist on the New Gear Curse. :) My good nights are REALLY good tho. I'll get there. :)
You're right- stop whining about living in HI.:)) One of my best astronomy buddies lives in Pepeekeo (Hilo). I visited him last year and we went up to the Keck Observatories and spent an evening doing live viewing at 9,000 ft above sea level. I never have seen so many stars. There were so many that I had trouble finding Polaris :),

Last edited:
You're right- stop whining about living in HI.:)) One of my best astronomy buddies lives in Pepeekeo (Hilo). I visited him last year and we went up to the Keck Observatories and spent an evening doing live viewing at 9,000 ft above the clouds. I never have seen so many stars. There were so many that I had trouble finding Polaris :),

ha ha, yeah when i went to bryce with a portable setup between fatigue, the altitude and the 10 zillion stars, i could not find polaris and couldn't get polar aligned, and so i had to give up. the sky is so alive at night in a dark place!

You're right- stop whining about living in HI.:)) One of my best astronomy buddies lives in Pepeekeo (Hilo). I visited him last year and we went up to the Keck Observatories and spent an evening doing live viewing at 9,000 ft above sea level. I never have seen so many stars. There were so many that I had trouble finding Polaris :),
Its worse than you know. I work at Haleakala Observatory. : ) Sooner or later the winds will stop, and I'll have an image for you all.

I guess there is no interest in this but I did figure it out. I reprocessed M27 from its original version (green/red version) just with the results using the L-eNhance duo band filter to the reprocessed (blue/red) version where I created a luminance channel from the red channel which is primarily Ha with the filter in place.

.View attachment 8697View attachment 8698
Are you saying both of these images are from the same data (L-enhance)? Or are they two different captures?

Back