FITSFileManager

Hey.

I've been looking for something like this for a long time - want to normalise my filenames to a 'standard' that suits me, and want to change old image filenames to whatever I want in the future.

This doesn't, however, allow you to read in .xisf and re-write .xisf filenames. Is this likely to be added at any time in the future?

Hey.

I've been looking for something like this for a long time - want to normalise my filenames to a 'standard' that suits me, and want to change old image filenames to whatever I want in the future.

This doesn't, however, allow you to read in .xisf and re-write .xisf filenames. Is this likely to be added at any time in the future?
The method by which it reads the header keywords from the FITS file does not allow it to be used for reading .xisf files, the routine would have to be re-written as I have had to do in the script FITSKeywords.js as it used the same method for reading the FITS file

The method by which it reads the header keywords from the FITS file does not allow it to be used for reading .xisf files, the routine would have to be re-written as I have had to do in the script FITSKeywords.js as it used the same method for reading the FITS file
Your are right, for adequate speed and memory footprint I must be able to read only the header of the images. I am not sure if there is now a built-in capability in PJSR do to that. Also I have not seen that you read the XISF in FITSKeywords.js, did I miss something Dave ?
I would love to add this capability, but this would take quite some time to do propertly.

Also I have not seen that you read the XISF in FITSKeywords.js, did I miss something Dave ?
I would love to add this capability, but this would take quite some time to do propertly.

I did a special version of FITSKeywords for a member that needed it, have a look at this thread.

I am working on a new version of FITSKeywords.js which supports XISF files and has been refactored to PI current standards, this version should be ready by tomorrow, however, I don't know who the original author was and I don't want to tread on any toes. I will post the new version in a separate thread.

The routine to handle both file types reads the entire image, maybe you are right in only reading the header info....I will have to have a look at it.

Last edited:
Quoted from https://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php?threads/debayering-issues.14303/page-2 , post #35
yloupp said:
Last question : how did you obtain the XISF_header file ?

For this purpose I used a Hex Editor (HxD). The XISF header begins at address 0x00000010. I copied the XISF header, pasted it into Notepad++ and replaced all "><" by ">\n<". The result is in XML format.

The XISF format is fully documented, see https://pixinsight.com/doc/docs/XISF-1.0-spec/XISF-1.0-spec.html .
The XISF header is in XML format, the header is described in section 9.5 of the above XISF specification. Hope this helps to speed up the evaluation of the XISF header.

Bernd

Quoted from https://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php?threads/debayering-issues.14303/page-2 , post #35

The XISF header is in XML format, the header is described in section 9.5 of the above XISF specification. Hope this helps to speed up the evaluation of the XISF header.

Bernd

Thanks for info Bernd but I am OK with the XISF xml format and the extraction routine is now well on its way, well at least for FITSKeywords script, I will pass the routine on to whoever wants it.

I know XISF too, I tough of just extracting the FITS keyword, which is pretty simple even without a proper parser. But I welcome any existing code.

I have a new version of the FITSFileManager which can in fact handles both XISF and FITS files including converting between the two formats, in addition to the usual file copy/renames based on the FITS keywords (which are in the XISF files too).
If somebody volunteer to make some additional test, please send me a message, I prefer if somebody else use it a bit before I release it.

The version 1.6 of the FITSFileManager has been released via the automatic update. It can handles both XISF and FITS files including converting between the two formats, in addition to the usual file copy/renames based on the FITS keywords (which are in the XISF files too).
If you convert files between FITS and XISF, it will load/save them. If you do not convert, you can also just copy or move them (if you do not add FITS keys).
The extension (xisf, fits, fts, ...) selects the format.

Back