not a bug Cursor becomes slow when hovering over an image and panning is laggy (NEW VIDEO)

AnhDuck

I'm using the latest version of PixInsight on my Windows 10 computer. I did not have this issue with older versions of PI. When I hover my cursor over an image it becomes slow and panning around is laggy and stutters. It feels like the cursor is struggling to move through a viscous fluid.

This is very obviously shown in this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbLnrMw39pk&feature=youtu.be

Please watch it in 1080p at 60 fps. The cursor slows down whenever it goes over the image, but if I have a tab open it removes the sluggishness.

Panning lag/stutter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncw4DoVUmos&feature=youtu.be

Sorry but I can't see any obvious problem in the video you have provided. Anyway, we cannot observe any problem related to cursor movement over images on any platform, not even on Windows, and not even on relatively slow machines (4th generation core i7 for example).

I have noticed the same behavior in my setup (little "slow" pan), I think since version 1.8.6. Do you have an Nvidia video card? (mine is a GTX 1060)

Greetings,

Enzo.

Enzo De Bernardini said:
I have noticed the same behavior in my setup (little "slow" pan), I think since version 1.8.6. Do you have an Nvidia video card? (mine is a GTX 1060)

Greetings,

Enzo.

Yes I have an Nvidia card. It's also the GTX 1060. It's incredibly annoying, and the first time I encountered it I thought it was intentionally since it doesn't depend on how large the image is. The behaviour happens the moment you hover your cursor over the window, and gets removed if you have anything else on top of it.

i have GTX1050 on macosx that does the same thing. it seems to be triggered by videos which are being displayed on webpages in safari. when i close the tab, the cursor starts working properly again.

rob

Juan Conejero said:
Sorry but I can't see any obvious problem in the video you have provided. Anyway, we cannot observe any problem related to cursor movement over images on any platform, not even on Windows, and not even on relatively slow machines (4th generation core i7 for example).

It's hard to visually see it via video and not in person, but I have made a new one that shows this bug extremely clearly. It was recorded in 60 fps and slowed down by 56%. I used a macro to record my mouse movement and the video was synced to the exact frame. It is clearly shown that the cursor in the frame above is lagging behind the other one once it reaches the image window, but it is able to catch up when it goes outside of it.

Having one of the tabs open in the top menu removes it completely for some reason. The cursor lag is also still present even when PixInsight isn't the active window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbLnrMw39pk&feature=youtu.be

pfile said:
i have GTX1050 on macosx that does the same thing. it seems to be triggered by videos which are being displayed on webpages in safari. when i close the tab, the cursor starts working properly again.

rob

Unfortunately this doesn't fix the issue on my Windows 10 PC (GTX 1060).

This looks like an input lag issue caused by v-sync (tearing prevention) in your graphics card. Try disabling it:

* On Linux and FreeBSD with KDE:

- System Settings > Display and Monitor > Tearing prevention: set to 'Never'
- Click Apply

* On Windows 10:

- If you have 'game mode' enabled, disable it.
- Turn off v-sync in your NVIDIA graphics card (see the first reply).

Let me know if this fixes the problem.

Juan Conejero said:
This looks like an input lag issue caused by v-sync (tearing prevention) in your graphics card. Try disabling it:

* On Linux and FreeBSD with KDE:

- System Settings > Display and Monitor > Tearing prevention: set to 'Never'
- Click Apply

* On Windows 10:

- If you have 'game mode' enabled, disable it.
- Turn off v-sync in your NVIDIA graphics card (see the first reply).

Let me know if this fixes the problem.

Disabling vsync fixed the laggy/slow mouse cursor, but it still stutters when I pan on any image no matter how big or small, as shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncw4DoVUmos&feature=youtu.be

Again, I can't see any obvious signs of 'stuttering' in this video. Anyway, this is a machine-specific problem that we cannot reproduce on any supported platform, on any of our working and testing machines.

this is happening for me as of late as well.  I'm on win10, pixinsight v1.8.8-3. my processing rig is a decent workstation, 1950x + 1080 ti.  toggling vsync does nothing related to input lag when the cursor is inside an image. I do have two monitors, 240hz and 60hz; it happens on both.

hnau said:
this is happening for me as of late as well.  I'm on win10, pixinsight v1.8.8-3. my processing rig is a decent workstation, 1950x + 1080 ti.  toggling vsync does nothing related to input lag when the cursor is inside an image. I do have two monitors, 240hz and 60hz; it happens on both.

This bug is happening to me again on version 1.8.8-4. The first time that this occurred disabling vsync fixed the issue, but panning around was laggy. A few updates later the panning issue got fixed, but the slow/laggy cursor problem appeared again.

I'm using a GTX 1060.

As noted above, this is a machine-specific issue that cannot be reproduced under normal working conditions. Our test machines include NVIDIA and AMD graphics cards on all supported platforms, and besides the issue I described on Linux/KDE (which is super easy to solve), we have not seen any of these problems.

Hi get the same here, been like this for a while now. Makes it very difficult to work. You are welcome to remote desktop into my PC to experience this lag when the cursor is over any image.

Guylain

Hi Guylain,

As noted, this is a machine-specific problem that cannot be reproduced under normal working conditions. Assuming you are running under Windows 10, input lag issues should be fixed by disabling the 'game mode' if it is enabled and turning off v-sync for your graphics card, if applicable. See my second answer above. If this doesn't help, then you'll have to find a different solution, probably by changing some graphics card configuration settings.

Unfortunately, we cannot help more with this issue because it is not reproducible on any of our working and testing machines.

I had input lag issues in PI 1.8.8-5 and a friend of mine did not. I came to the forum just now and saw this thread and Juan's suggestion to disable "Game Mode" and v-sync (both were enabled). I am back to normal UI performance after doing so.

Thank you Master Juan! :)

Guylain,

I am betting it is something video card related. I have an NVidia GTX 1060 on both of my workstations and either disabling the Game Mode or v-sync solved it for me. AhnDuck had the same card, I wonder if he is still seeing it?

It probably is, but it's not the combo of Windows Game Mode + the v-sync on the card setting because both are disabled and it is still slow moving the cursor over the image. System is an AMD 1920x threadripper + Radeon RX 570 video card + ASRock x399 motherboard. Windows 10 Pro.

Back