Author Topic: IC 443 in Ha and RGB  (Read 1226 times)

Offline ajbarr

• PixInsight Old Hand
    • View Profile
IC 443 in Ha and RGB
« on: 2013 October 19 15:11:38 »
I just completed this image of the Jellyfish Nebula. It has 20 hours total time on it, 11 Ha and 9 RGB. This was imaged in Mayhill, NM with a Tak FCT 150 and an SBIG 11000. The blend was made with the Ha RGB utility script. Works great.

Thanks for looking :)

Albert

Offline marekc

• PixInsight Addict
    • View Profile
Re: IC 443 in Ha and RGB
« Reply #1 on: 2013 October 19 16:53:21 »
Hi Albert,

I think this image is simply lovely. Lots of nice stars, but they're subdued enough to avoid being a `star carpet'. Intricate, colorful nebulosity, but not garishly `neon-ish'. The stars are colorful, but in a nice pastel way, rather than aggressively glowing with color. And I, personally, like the background level you've used. As I'm viewing the image, on my monitor, it doesn't look like you went for a really dark background, which to my eye could look clipped. I know I'm not missing any information in the background when I look at this image. I think the word I'm looking for is `elegant'.

I should hasten to point out that there are plenty of `brighter', `more-saturated' images out there, which I like a lot. Many imagers go for brighter, more saturated colors, contrasting strongly with a darker black point. And I think a lot of those images look really beautiful! But something about this image struck me as having an `elegant, understated spectacular-ness' (to coin a particularly un-elegant phrase). I really like looking at this image.

- Marek

Offline ajbarr

• PixInsight Old Hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013 October 19 18:43:13 »
Thanks Marek. I spent a lot of time trying to subdue this image. I really like the Ha RGB script. It's a big time saver and doesn't destroy star color.

By the way, I think you should write wine reviews :)

Offline Graham

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013 October 20 00:40:38 »
Yes, does have a certain elegance about it. Lovely job.