Author Topic: Removing noise during calibration without removing meteors  (Read 2365 times)

Offline chris_todd

• PixInsight Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • I don't have hobbies, I have obsessions...
At the Texas Star Party last week, I took a number of wide-field shots using an 8-15mm fisheye @10mm and a Canon T2i, on the night of the peak of the Lyrid meteor shower.  I have stacks of 2 minute exposures that I would like to calibrate and integrate, so as to remove thermal noise, but I would *also* like to keep the meteor trails.

Is there any way to do this?  I'm still quite the PI newbie, but could I skip the noise removal during calibration, registration, and integration, and instead remove noise and hot pixels afterwards with ACDNR (which I'm somewhat familiar with) and CosmeticCorrection (which I've never used before)?  Is there any integration setting that would leave the meteor trails in there (I know this will also leave in airplanes, satellites, etc., but I suppose that's just the cost I'll have to pay).

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  And before you ask, I don't have Photoshop, and have no intention of buying it.
Uncooled, unmodified Canon T2i/550D, various lenses, and AstroTrac TT320X-AG
I don't have hobbies, I have obsessions...

Offline NKV

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Removing noise during calibration without removing meteors
« Reply #1 on: 2012 April 25 09:05:36 »
ImageIntegration:
Set Combination mode to "Maximum".
Pixel rejection to "No rejection".

Online pfile

• PTeam Member
  • PixInsight Jedi Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Removing noise during calibration without removing meteors
« Reply #2 on: 2012 April 25 15:33:19 »
generally speaking, you're going to need a mask of some sort or other when using ACDNR, either the built-in one in ACDNR or a mask of your own making.

assuming the meteors are bright enough, you should be able to do noise reduction on the background only, using one of the above masking methods.