Author Topic: This years Triangulum M33  (Read 3591 times)

Offline kwalker

• PixInsight Enthusiast
This years Triangulum M33
« on: 2011 November 15 18:01:25 »
This is my rendition of M33 with an un modified Canon Rebel xs (1000d)
a little better than last year but had a little problem with decon making holes in the smaller stars.
most of the heavier  processing was done in the linear image except curves ,saturation boost , and decon were done after the stretch
to get to the dust clouds I tried out HDRMultiscale transform in the linear with 6 layers  to lightness ,lightness mask and deringing checked.
I know my stars are a mess but fixing that while the weather is bad
I also kept a few subs that should have been tossed when the wind kicked up but I hate throwing away hard work.
41x360  ISO1600 Orion F4.9  8" newt  CGEM

higher res below

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa283/kwalker50/Astrophotos/Triangulumhighboost.jpg

Offline Lex

• PixInsight Guru
  • We do it at night...
Re: This years Triangulum M33
« Reply #1 on: 2011 November 16 03:33:46 »
Hi,

I like your version of M33; the only thing that could be done is to try to change the star shape with some morph action.
The other thing I would to is to less darken the background; with this the eyes do not stay fixed on the shape of the stars.

Just one question: Do you use PEC on your mount or even PEM pro?

I found out that my CGEM can track up to 1200secs with pinpoint starimages ( tuned with PEM pro and guided with QHY6 )
Clear Skies!!

Lex

AZEQ6 GT, TS UNC 10" f5, ASI1600mm-c

HADSO (Hagen Deep Sky Observatory)20 km W of Luxemburg City

Offline kwalker

• PixInsight Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: 2011 November 16 08:10:06 »
Thanks Lex
good advise on the background.
I did do a star reduction but chose round.(I need to play around with the settings a little)
I did a lot of things wrong that evening.
Setting up on sand was the worst thing I did and didnt bother with PEC after the reflash to to newest HC and MC firmware.
the mount is getting a hypertune and the focuser is getting reinforced before the next outing.
the first 4 hours that evening gave me fairly good tracking with a little star movment (tight RA) as seen from the first image of the night.
NGC 891 40x6 min ISO 800.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa283/kwalker50/Astrophotos/NGC_891_TDS_.jpg
The last hour out of 4  of M33 the gusts of wind were nearly 20 mph and I should have tossed them but all in all the mount took the wind..... but the tripod sunk down into the quicksand  8)

Offline Lex

• PixInsight Guru
  • We do it at night...
« Reply #3 on: 2011 November 16 10:05:50 »
Ok, i know this problem; it can be solved with small wooden plates a hole drilled in  the middle for maintaining the foot tips in place.
 Is there a new FW? Hmm i should have a look..
 The CGEM is a good mount but I think it has to be tuned in one way to achieve really good tracking...
Clear Skies!!

Lex

Offline Lex

• PixInsight Guru
  • We do it at night...
« Reply #4 on: 2011 November 16 10:24:02 »
BTW your NGC 891 is also nice but I think you should also stretch less hardly the background, IMHO
Clear Skies!!

Lex

Offline kwalker

• PixInsight Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: 2011 November 16 13:00:06 »
Ok, i know this problem; it can be solved with small wooden plates a hole drilled in  the middle for maintaining the foot tips in place.
 Is there a new FW? Hmm i should have a look..
 The CGEM is a good mount but I think it has to be tuned in one way to achieve really good tracking...
Yes the CGEM is a good mount for sure and the hypertune should make it even better.
the firmware update solves a few problems while imaging in the south and also the sudden stop in slew was fixed :).
I was given some paver stones for my area by a fello member and I need to find those vibration pads I lost.
I do like your idea better because it will hold position if the mount gets bumped during the night (that never happens :) )
Thanks for the kind words on NGC 891 ....I do darken the background a bit much but using a dslr makes it very hard to keep the noise down and I keep distroying my flats ???.
Ken

Offline Lex

• PixInsight Guru
  • We do it at night...
« Reply #6 on: 2011 November 17 03:17:40 »
Hi,

indeed the Hypertune option is kind of interesting; the only thing that shocks me is the price of nearly $300...
I did it myself; polished the brassbearings and wormgears and applied som lipbalm on exerything rotative in there.
This grease is really one of the best stuff you can use.

DSLR photography is quiet different to CCD, an the SNR is clearly higher so there is no way around good calibration masters.
I own a 383l+ and i never did any Darks; it is needless it think because the camera produces pratically no noise if correctly cooled down.
I try to keep my optics as clean as possible so no dust donuts can be visible.
Clear Skies!!

Lex