i discovered the following: if i generate a star field with StarGenerator and then try to solve that field with the script, it does not work. i never get any matched stars and the script fails.
the coordinates given are for the center of the veil nebula and if i generate this synthetic starfield, i can use StarAlignment in 'normal' mode to register a real image with this center and image scale. so i think the coordinates are good, and also if i ask the script to show me the stars it's found, they look good.
maybe you can try this experiment and tell me what i've done wrong here:
The problem is that you are generating the image using a conformal projection. ImageSolver only works with Gnomonic projection. If in your test you change only from Conformal to Gnomonic, the image can be solved.
Regarding your problems with widefield images, as I have said in a previous message, I don't think that the script in its current form can work consistently with short focals. With short focals there are too many optical distortions for StarAlignment doing a good job.
I don't know where is the limit. I usually get good results with focal lengths between 300 and 3000mm. Under that, it depends on the quality of the optics.
There are also problems with very deep images where the stars of magnitudes between 10-12 are saturated and which StarAligment is not able to recognize as stars. I think this images probably are better solved in their original lineal form before stretching the histogram.
so i can't try that, and when i used the TYC catalog, only 1/2 the image was annotated. it looks like it stopped annotating at the celstial equator...
VizieR servers have a limit of 50000 objects in each download. It seems that you have reached that limit and that you should set the magnitude filter to a lower value. This limit is not a problem because if you draw 50000 objects on an image, everything mixes and you can't see anything.
I will add a warning when this happens.