Dark Structure Enhance Script Deep Dive Blog Post

Kozmosi.io

Hi everyone,
I have written up a blog post all about the Dark Structure Enhance Script as it is an extremely powerful script that can really enhance our images.
I would love to get everyone's feedback on the post and especially any corrections if I have made any mistakes.

You can read the post here: https://www.kozmosi.io/articles/astro-secrets-enhancing-the-night-sky-s-hidden-wonders

The Post Covers
  1. How the DSE technically works
  2. How to use each of the DSE parameters
  3. Examples of how to use Wavelets to visualize the mask
  4. Using the Curve Transformation tool in conjunction with the DSE Mask to control the DSE effect
Looking forward to getting your feedback!

Adwords-Display-1200-628-nebula.png

Nice article. I have used DSE a few times but without real understanding. Even so, the results were usually pretty good. I look forward to being able to use it more intelligently.
Pedantic point: You mention a “stretched linear image”. An image is either linear or non-linear (aka “stretched”). It can’t be both linear and stretched.

Last edited:
Nice article. I have used DSE a few times but without real understanding. Even so, the results were usually pretty good. I look forward to being able to use it more intelligently.
Pedantic point: You mention a “stretched linear image”. An image is either linear or non-linear (aka “stretched”). It can’t be both linear and stretched.
Thanks for pointing out the confusion - Absolutely love that you are pedantic, because what I was trying to get across was the fact that it works on the stretched version of the linear image...

I have updated the sentence (part in bold):
"The Mechanism? The DSE operates on stretched linear images, enhancing the contrast of dark structures without affecting the brighter regions. This ensures that the final image is free from noise and artifacts."

to be (part in bold):
"The Mechanism? The DSE operates on the stretched version of the linear image, enhancing the contrast of dark structures without affecting the brighter regions. This ensures that the final image is free from noise and artifacts."

Do you consider this a more clear explanation?

Thanks again!

I don't understand what "a stretched version of the linear image" means. Do you mean that DSE actually performs a stretch (making the image nonlinear), then applies the enhancement algorithms, then somehow "unstretches" the result? Is that even possible?

Why don’t you simply write “… operates on non-linear images….” ? I believe that most people assume stretched to be STF, which is still linear but screen stretched.

/Ralf

@airscottdenning - no the DSE does not stretch the image in anyway.
@FlapAstro (aka rakla) - I have updated the sentence to read:
"The Mechanism? The DSE operates best on non-linear image data, enhancing the contrast of dark structures without affecting the brighter regions. This ensures that the final image is free from noise and artifacts." - I hope that removes any confusion!

The DSE technically can work on both linear and non-linear data, however there will be little visible effect on linear data.

Thank you both very much for the feedback please keep it coming if you have any more.

Back